I also have a reboot loop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

will h4x 4 food

Daemon Poster
I have a friends system with keeps restarting time and time again at boot up. everything turns off except the power light on the front of the PC. also its a emachine.
I get to the Windows loading screen, then a blue screen flashes up very quickly, too quick to read what it says and then it repeats the process.
I've tried the F8 key and start from last known good configuration, but it makes not difference.
Also tried Safe Mode start, get to the .....Windows\System\Drivers\Mup.sys and it hangs for a while, then restarts again, same process follows.

I think the virus software was up to date, so not sure if it's that, a new game was installed a few days again, but it ran ok for a couple of days until it suddenly went like this.

I remember reading somewhere a process to boot to a command prompt and copy some stuff from the Windows disk, but can't remember what that was?

I've also tried booting to floppy and doing fdisk /mbr, still not change?

If anyone could give me some pointers, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

try a repair on the os. also has there been any hardware changes since this started happening.

You can also download (on another machine) a copy of DFT and run that off of a cd on the machine. It might help in determining if the actual drive is bad or if the software is bad.

I have an eMachines that did this before, come to find out it was my CPU fan, could possibly be a bad video driver... I had to buy a new fan for my CPU.

disable the automatic restart option that shows when you hit f8 and tell us the error code

I don't know if it'll be helpful or not but I fixed my problem by plugging my HD into my friend's PC and his copy of Windows noticed that it had errors and fixed 'em. Since then it's been working as normal.

will h4x 4 food said:
I have a friends system with keeps restarting time and time again at boot up. everything turns off except the power light on the front of the PC. also its a emachine.
I get to the Windows loading screen, then a blue screen flashes up very quickly, too quick to read what it says and then it repeats the process.
I've tried the F8 key and start from last known good configuration, but it makes not difference.
Also tried Safe Mode start, get to the .....Windows\System\Drivers\Mup.sys and it hangs for a while, then restarts again, same process follows.

I think the virus software was up to date, so not sure if it's that, a new game was installed a few days again, but it ran ok for a couple of days until it suddenly went like this.

I remember reading somewhere a process to boot to a command prompt and copy some stuff from the Windows disk, but can't remember what that was?

I've also tried booting to floppy and doing fdisk /mbr, still not change?

If anyone could give me some pointers, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Self-reboot is the unique feature we found in Windows Xp.

But my experience told me that the non-stop rebooting of the OS sometimes was caused by the running out of system resources because the PC was being infected by malware!

Re: Re: I also have a reboot loop!

kwokwai said:
Self-reboot is the unique feature we found in Windows Xp.

But my experience told me that the non-stop rebooting of the OS sometimes was caused by the running out of system resources because the PC was being infected by malware!

it could be a million different things like conflicting software, corrupt files or bad hardware.

I would try a system repair with your Windows disk. If that still doesn't fix the problem, you could try running a parrallel OS on a disk, ala knoppix and seeing if there are any problems similiar (kernal panic, etc) If the knoppix route fails, probably hardware.

My sister had an emachines that ran fine, until it reboot four or five times and then wouldn't boot up period. I opened up the case and found a fried HDD. What year was the puter purchased new?

Re: Re: Re: I also have a reboot loop!

EricB said:
it could be a million different things like conflicting software, corrupt files or bad hardware.

Good point!

QFT;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom