hundreds of cds - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan
Default hundreds of cds

Hi, I have literally a few hundred windows XP pro cds, my school was throwing them away so i picked them up and brought them home, I'm wondering is it illegal to sell them on ebay? if not, because i dont have the lisences what would i get for each cd as an estimate do you think.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

it's not legal. The school falls under a special type of lisence that is not transferable to home users.

doing so could result in a problem for the school and for you with MS... since your talking hundreds... it's deffinatly not something you want to do...

Old 07-18-2005, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Illegal and you will get in serious trouble Microsoft may not find piraters but they will find you if you are using the schools special XP CDs in a heart beat. If you installed using thoughs CDs on any system reformate immediatly.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

yeah, its obviously illegal moron.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

http://www.itmugs.com/images/stupid_question_large.gif

sorry, I had to do it.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 07-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan

none of it is pirating...i wouldnt sell them for 100$/each and i wont be giving any lisences or serials with them, they could be used as replacements for oems, or if someone lost their cd
40 GB HDD
Dual Mirrored 500 GB HDDs
DVD-ROM Drive
Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2
Old 07-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

^do it. When you get arrested, let us know ok!

Is a matter of fact, don't.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Heyyo,

It's in m$'s licence agreement that their products are not for resale. So yeah, it's actually illegal to buy windows xp, and sell it off for a higher price on things like ebay. In your case it's the same man. If anything hand them out to buds, maybe get them to pay ya $5, ya know? under the counter deals. M$ won't care for that. But selling em' off high price, WITHOUT LICENCES, and charging good cash? oh dude you'd feel m$'s wrath.

Btw, have you tried doing a search on e-bay? they're all by online retailers, maybe 1-3 users trying to actually sell off. Brave little ones aren't they?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

No, it is not illegal! The same thing happened to me. You see, when you are given the CDs with the permission of the previous owner, the license is automatically given to you! So you can do whatever you want with them. Therefore you can sell them on ebay, just like any software you own.

In fact someone tried to get me into trouble because I apparently had no license, but I just explained how I the license was passed onto me.

So in fact you do have the licenses if you were allowed to take the CDs.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 07-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ThE_MarD
Heyyo,

It's in m$'s licence agreement that their products are not for resale. So yeah, it's actually illegal to buy windows xp, and sell it off for a higher price on things like ebay.
Oh OK then, you're allowed to own them but selling them is just as illegal as any software sold on ebay I guess.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Closed Thread