HP System Restore - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Question HP System Restore

Hey, not sure if any of you guys have an HP computer and have reformatted it or anything, but I'm planning to do so, but I'm not so sure.

The questions I have are:

Would I use HP System recovery or HP Application Recovery?

If I restore my entire system, will I no more sound driver, mouse, keyboard etc. or will they be in HP Recovery Drive D?

I may have some more questions, but I just can't fish them out right now.

Thanks for the help

Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: HP System Restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo93 View Post
Hey, not sure if any of you guys have an HP computer and have reformatted it or anything, but I'm planning to do so, but I'm not so sure.

The questions I have are:

Would I use HP System recovery or HP Application Recovery?

If I restore my entire system, will I no more sound driver, mouse, keyboard etc. or will they be in HP Recovery Drive D?

I may have some more questions, but I just can't fish them out right now.

Thanks for the help
they wouldn't do you like that. it put the comp back to it's store bought condition

Old 07-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

if turns it back to store bought condition, does that mean i lose my files as well? and that means i keep the hardware drives?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

If you want to get rid of all your personal data files, and restore the system to it's factory condition, then you'll want to perform a HP destructive system recovery.

If you don't want any of your personal data files to be erased, but want to restore the Operating System files to their factory state, then you'll want to perform an HP non-destructive recovery.

As for drivers, you may need to obtain and install drivers for devices from the Internet or from a driver CD for additional hardware devices you've added (for example, a new graphics card that you may have put into the system). Hardware devices which came with the system when purchased will have device drivers available and installed automatically in the recovery process. Also, compatible device drivers may be available in Windows meaning you won't need to obtain and install drivers manually, though in some cases you will have to, and it's always best to obtain the latest drivers for your devices.

My Advice? Don't worry about device drivers at this stage. Worry about them after you've performed the destructive or non-destructive system recovery. That way you'll know which devices Windows has not been able to find and install a compatible driver for.

Always back up any important data files onto a removable medium (external hard drive, flash drive, CD / DVD etc...) before performing a destructive recovery, and even a non-destructive recovery.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

so Alvin, if I choose to do a destructive system recovery, my system will go back to when i first got it, only having the basic HP Programs and recovery options? and with the non-destructive recovery, I just have my software back to its out of the box state, but i would still have my documents and stuff?

and what if i haven't added any hardware drivers? would i have nothing to worry about?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

it easier to go the destructive route, after you have back your data up. the non destructive route can possibly leave viruses around
Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

but either one i choose, my system will have the software it had when it first came out of the box, hardware drivers and all?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo93 View Post
but either one i choose, my system will have the software it had when it first came out of the box, hardware drivers and all?
that what store bought condition means. it's better than a regular xp install
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

alright, cool. thanks guys
Old 07-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

Ya, don't do a fresh install on a hp. I did it to one and drivers for the motherboard couldn't be found anywhere.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Closed Thread