^(&*#*#$ HP Software--Hammered my OS--HELP!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default ^(&*#*#$ HP Software--Hammered my OS--HELP!!

Bear with me. I'm so friggin' mad right now--I could hang myself.

I just bought a new HP printer/scanner/fax/copier. It's an OfficeJet 4215.

I hooked it up and installed the software. This requires a restart.

Now my computer is all HAMMERED!!!

I'm running XP Home Edition.

I am the only user on this machine--so I specifically NEVER assigned a password. Now the 'puter is asking me for a password on restart.

There is an icon in my start menu that says "Safely remove hardware" and it specifies that the 4215 is corrupted and is not working right.

When I go to shutdown--I used to have the default window with 3 options to click on. (restart, shutdown, cancel) But, OHHHHHH NO--NOOOOW I got a dropdown menu--just like the old 98SE shutdown menu. WTF?? is going on?

I removed all the HP software and I stuck the POS printer back in the box. I'm returning it first thing tomorrow.

But, my 'puter is still screwed up.

Can someone PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASSSSE help me. PLEASE. I just want to get it back to where it was. I had everything on the factory defaults. I didn't tweak anything on the startup menu or on the settings. I just want it back to the defaults.

How to I change the way my shutdown menu looks?

How do I make it just boot up? I don't want it asking me for a friggin' password on every restart.

PLEASE HELP ME. I'm beggin' here.

ANYTHING but reload the whole darn OS and start over. I can do it, if I have too. It's genuine MS software--not pirated. But thats SUCH a huge pain in the rear.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

press enter. if you didn't set a password, you won't have to type anything. all that's changed is the login screen.

when you get on, go to control panel, go to user accounts, then in the new window click "change the way users log on and off"
then check "use the welcome screen"
then apply.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Ok If you can boot up your computer after booting click start then click help then in the right hand colume at the bottom click system restore.click restore to an earler time pick a day closest to the date now and select restore .Your computer will reboot and this should fix the problem.If it dosnt work with the day you chose you may need to pick a earler day.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by sPlAtOiD
Ok If you can boot up your computer after booting click start then click help then in the right hand colume at the bottom click system restore.click restore to an earler time pick a day closest to the date now and select restore .Your computer will reboot and this should fix the problem.If it dosnt work with the day you chose you may need to pick a earler day.
YOU DA MAN!!!

It wasn't as easy as point and click--but I did manage to find the restore function buried deep in the start menu.

I'm back to normal.

I am indebted to you--big time!! Thank you soooo much.

I knew that I had a system restore option--but I could not find it. I was all over this machine looking for the right button to get it reverted back a couple days to a safe point. I just couldn't find it.

Thank you so much. I just can't express my gratitude on a keyboard. You just saved me from a sleepless night being all upset and pi***ed off.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Closed Thread