HP Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellyntx

Beta member
I am sure this has been addressed before but I cannot find it. I need to get the operating system program for my hp pavillion a250n. Is there anywhere I can get it besides having to order it?

The reason I am going that route is because everytime I get connected to the internet a message comes up and says I have registry problems. I know I have computer problems and my brother told me to just do a restore. I am missing files so that is probably the best way to go to just start over.

Any help will be appreciated.

Have you upgraded to SP2? I am betting those messages are just Spam from Messenger. Upgrading to Windows XP SP2 should solve that.

You can get SP2 thru the Windows Updates.

Windows XP SP2 - Download download from Guru3D.com

Or you can download it from there. You will need WinRar to extract it first then you can install it.

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers

Can also do a direct download of it.

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

Or you can order the CD of it from Microsoft.

I think those are messenger spams as mak said...

HP has a small window in which to "obtain" the windows restore discs, after that you're screwed. If you didn't delete the restore drive/partition, you can rebuild or restore from that.

I did that after HP told me I had to buy a new OS from MS, those bums. So I just built my own Windows XP disc from their files.

Because the Messeanges are sent thru Spam Mots that look for open Messenger ports. XP SP2 closes these ports so the messages dont get thru.

That is why it happens on the net. The Spam Bots are linked to some pages while other constantly scan. So just by visiting a site you can be targeted.

You wont get it on the net cause you dont trigger the spam bot showing that you ahve the open port.

go to start run type services.msc. click on the messenger tab. disable it

you also have an i386 folder on your c drive that you can use to reinstall xp

or get a firewall

honestly, if you're getting messages like that, installing SP2 could break your computer if you turn out to be infected with something. Be sure you go through all the preparations of cleansing your system before installing SP2.

Also, SP2 broke my laptop's PC card slots, so now it doesn't have wireless anymore. Check with your hardware vendor to be sure there are supported drivers for your motherboard that don't conflict with SP2.

It could also just be a pop up window advertisement. I get those even in Vista. Some popular websites do that. When you go to their website it brings up a pop up that makes it look like there is something wrong with your computer, but it is just a sneaky way for them to advertise. If you click on it, it will take you to where you can buy their software. Either just close them and don't worry about it, or download a pop-up blocker for your browser.

You can also download CCleaner - Home to scan your registry for problems and fix them. It's free software. Maybe that will ease your mind. It's likely to find a lot of problems, but most of the problems these things find are not anything that's a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom