How to wipe out my HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
I just resurrected an old computer and when I turn it on it says it is missing all kinds of files, etc. And all I want to do is just completely wipe out the hard drive. Entirely blank and then start over with Linux or something.

All I can do is get to command prompt.

What you need to do is reformat. There are several ways to do so. If you know what OS you are going to install, you might as well do it from the installation. Most Linux installations will allow you to reformat in the partition manager (part of every Linux install I've seen so far...I don't see how it could be left out). Otherwise, you can use a boot disk to format the drive. You can usually do so from fdisk (type fdisk in the prompt). the "format c:" command may even work directly from the boot disk's prompt, though I've actually had a couple of cases where that didn't work ( :rolleyes: ).

what you are wanting to do is not called "completely wiping out the hard disk". that would be excessive for your purpose. all you need to do is use a partitioning utilitie to delete all partitions on the hard disk.

you can than create a new partition structure that will suit your purpose and operating system. after creating the structure format each volume with a filing system like FAT32 or NTFS or whatever linux uses and install your OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom