How to Use WinXP Pro Upgrade Disk for Clean Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

apru82

Beta member
I want a completely clean installaton of Windows XP SP3 on a new disk and have only a retail WinXP Pro upgrade disk (pre-SP1) and an OEM Dell WinXP Pro SP2 upgrade/reinstall disk. Neither will install on my fresh disk (error: Boot disk failure. Please insert system disk, or some such thing).

Is there a way that I can use one of these disk to freshly install Windows. (Env: HP Pavilion 753n, 640MB Ram, 160GB disk, (yeah, I know, it's a second machine!).

That is, what file(s) do I need to move from my old disk to the new disk so that the upgrade CD will recognize it as an upgrade?

Thanks

A

You just need to set your BIOS to boot to the CD. But it won't install unless you have a previous full version disk. Maybe you could try copying a Windows directory to that hard drive.

This is technically against the EULA of Windows and the TOS. So it can not be discussed here.

No matter what you will need a previous version of Windows. be it Windows 2000 or something earlier. It will ask for it during the install. If you do not have it you can not do it. Only Windows Vista allows you to use a Upgrade disc for a full install without any previous versions.

Since it violates that stuff which also violates our Rules. Topic Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom