How to upgrade 30gb hdd to 60gb hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglemike

Baseband Member
Hello. I have a P3-laptop with 30gb hdd. I would like to upgrade to 60gb hdd which I also have. I've pulled the hdd out of the laptop, connected it to usb (with usb to 2.5" adapter) to another computer.

I tried to do it with Norton Ghost - but didn't succeed, It's either that I don't know how to do this exactly , or Norton ghost just can't do it.

I have several Ntfs partition , as long as 2 Linux partitions for Ubuntu (ext3 and swap). I would like to find some way to completely clone the hdd - including all the partition structure and their data.

Norton ghost 9 (which i have) will only allow me to backup one partition at a time and save them to image file. I've saved all partitions as image files from old 30gb disk.

Now when I want to restore partition - Norton ghost will transer only one partition at a time and make it a whole disk.
Here's what I mean:
My partitions are:
Partition 1: 1gb/ntfs/ (boot) - clean win2000 installation
Partition 2: 8gb/ntfs/ another win2000 with all the soft that i work in
partition 3: 6gb/Ext3/ Kubuntu 6.4 installation
Partition 4: 51mb/linux swap/
Partition 5: 12gb/ntfs/varios data (movies, etc)
I've copied them all to image files, Now I plug in to usb new 60gb disk, which is unpartitiond at this point. I choose "restore partition" - and point to the first image. After it finished - I see the whole disk (60gb) became a one partition with contents of the 1st partition on old disk (which is 1gb).

Now if I choose to restore second image - It just overwrites the whole disk (60gv) and makes it to be the contents of the second image.

Please help me

put both of them in usb enclosures, then clone it. I have to do it once with ghost 10. it didn't work.

come to think about, this is how I fixed it. I backup the laptop data to another usb hdd with ghost, then I put the bigger hdd in and restore the backup file on the other usb hdd to that bigger hdd in the laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom