How to store DVD's onto harddrive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default How to store DVD's onto harddrive?

I would like to use my pc to play all my dvds on my tv and would like to rid my living room of all the cases, so I thought I would set up a home center pc for movies and such. Are there any programs that can do this or is there something else I can do. I in no means want to copy them for sales just to clean up the house.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Considering that a 2 hour movie takes up about 4 GB of disk space (not including any special features), it won't take long to fill up your hard drive. The time and effort that would be involved in copying them to your harddrive would hardly be worth it. It would take about 20-25 movies to fill up that 120GB harddrive. My guess is that you probably have 100+ movies, which would mean 4 or 5 120GB harddrives. Sony makes a 400-disc DVD changer for around $400, less than the cost of 5 120GB harddrives. That would probably make more sense, and help you lose the cases.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I acctually have 2 300g HD sitting on my desk for this purpose. I am going to automize my house and this is just one step. I thought of that but would like to have out of site. Thanks

Old 09-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Pantomime

If you make an image of the DVD you'll be able to save it for later veiwing. You can use DVD Decrypter to save the entire DVD, or use DVD Shrink to remove extras and/or menus.

I like your idea for one setup, but I assume you aren't using your TV as your monitor. Is your computer desk setup that close to your TV?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You could refer to this guide
Screenshots of my Desktop.....Post ur\'s too :D

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 09-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

If you are looking to store your collection on your computer, you can use this software package to rip your dvd to any size desired. from any where around 700Mb to DVD quality in one file. This is a great package, free, and very good quality. Look into it.
Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 09-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thanks for the links guys.

Pantomime, well right now it is in the living room but will be moving to other end of house soon(or so the wife tells me) and will be looking into some kind of wireless or will have to run wire under the house. Either way another project for me todo

Thanks again,
Old 09-25-2004, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Glad to see another person doing this. I have 430 or so DVD's ripped down to my system at home. Run MythTV to watch them on the HDTV and love it. It's one of the best things I have ever done.
My server has 1TB of storage for the ripps and then the re-encodes. I keep all of my DVDs in thier original cases in a storage closet which is now mostly full.
Good Luck to you. Hope it works for you as it has for me.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

get dvd shrink, it shrinks it down to about 4gb and then use flask mpeg to encode in divx or xvid, takes a while but small on your hdd.

Core 2 Duo E6400, DFI Infinity 975X/G, 2x 512mb DDR2 667mhz, Albatron 7900gt, WD 200gb SATA, Samsung DVD-RW, Silverstone ST-50EF 500w PSU.
Closed Thread