how to stop cd-rw from being read only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muradtalukdar

Baseband Member
I've been trying to get round a problem for callers to our helpdesk of how to format their CDRW's so that they can drag and drop files and have them not keep defaulting to Read Only. This is because the files they need, have to be set to archive so that the databases they are using can update.

It will not do this if they are set to read only. On my machine (Xp pro 512 Ram P4 LG 52speed CD RW) iNcD auto formats to drag and drop status so that I can drag files off and copy etc when I transfer the cd to another machine.

When anyone else does it on theirs(mix of win98 and Xp) they can't seem to get the files to be set as archive....
any help out there?

And before anyone suggests copying them to the hard drive and using them from there--this is a no go as the software which does the updating is set to do the update from a cd or floppy only(don't ask me why!)

with CDRW's you can't really add files once it has been burned, you have to erase it, i would like to be able to as well but unfortunately it is not the case

as for writing the files you would just right click on certain files and click on send to, then to your CD burner, when you have done this to all the files you want burned then you can burn the CD

if you are using winXP, you CAN do things like that, but than windows will hold the files in an other place and when you click "write files on disk" it will write the files!

but i think it's better to use a normal write-program!

Apokalipse--I can actually add to my cd rw's after I've burnt them. This is not the problem. The problem is trying to keep the files as archive once on there--I think it has to do with the original formatting but am not sure.

well i don't know that much about the CDFS format but i don't think they have an "archive" option for it.
either that or it's because you can't actually change the files - you said you can add files on XP? well I have had win98 on this PC previously and you know how different that is
thanks for telling me - on the CD's the files that have been written can not be changed, ive just been told that you can add files, but that would be in the free space that hasn't been written on yet.

please correct me if i'm wrong though

I think you've highlighted th difference for me mate--I'm using Incd which formats in UDF format--now I use my CDRW Just like a big floppy disk--dragging and dropping in exactly the same way--very cool. And I've just seen that on my Xp machine with a cdrw drive the files stay as archive but on a win98 with CDRom drive they become (of course)read only.....so maybe that's it...

hmmm.. i haven't had XP that long -
so maybe a lot of the time what you think is based on what you're used to

good to see you've managed to keep it at archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom