How to set up your own basic webserver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good guide. I use debian myself. I have no experience with the OS you mention of, haven't even heard of it. Debian works extremely well in low end computers though. Command line of course, no gui. You can install the x system on it, but not much point. You might as well use a different os if you want the gui interface.

Ubuntu is Debian based and once i track down the command i can set it to run command line.

Can you do a guide as to where you can set it up so someone can log in and also upload stuff onto your server? Maybe even setting multiple accounts?

Ack this thread has been revived and never moved.

Like I said before pop in the XP cd go to components and install IIS boom FTP sever.

IIS is so easily hacked its not even funny.......goto metaexploit, they have numerous payloads to hack IIS.........IIS is a joke

Regardless there is no other hosting method I can think of besides Apache/Linux and this is a windows forum not the linux forum I am merly staying on topic ^_^.

well, there are numerous servers available for windows besides IIS........for just a simple ftp why install soemthing huge like IIS? same with a basic http server........simple is usually better, the KISS principle is usually te best idea(keep it simple stupid)

Thanks for the tip guys, going to install that stuff onto the computer today. Hope I get it right.

I got the apache server running. I have no idea how to accress it through the web, I think it is suppose to be through a IP Address, but what is that address? Also since I have Apache, I am pretty sure IIs doesn't work for it, so what do I use for FTP uploading?

I'd go over and ask in a linux forum even though you aren't running a linux OS they are very smart when it comes to running apache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom