How serious is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2nett

Solid State Member
Hey all

Just need some help please.

I just got a new netbook and have been using it for a couple days with no problems at all.

Today, I clicked a link to download VLC player (from the VLC site), and upon clicking the download link the system restarted. I tried downloading again after the restart and it worked fine (I tried repeating the download process a few times to make sure it was not causing the restart- it worked fine on all trials).

I checked the Event Viewer and saw this:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 e8154000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f7b266b1, parameter4 00000001.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

The computer seems fine now and it has not done it again.

As the computer is brand new, I am wondering if I should return it just because this problem happened once.

Any advice?

Thank you!

if it's just done it once there's nothing to worry about. Probably just a glitch that fixed itself on the reboot. Now if you had it happen again and again i would still doubt its a hardware problem, and that you might want to reformat or do a repair install, but considering that it only happened one time i think you're in the clear.

if it's just done it once there's nothing to worry about. Probably just a glitch that fixed itself on the reboot. Now if you had it happen again and again i would still doubt its a hardware problem, and that you might want to reformat or do a repair install, but considering that it only happened one time i think you're in the clear.

It happened again.

This time the computer was sitting idle.

Return?

Or is there a fix?

It was just sitting there no programs open and it restarted or shut down? Also, what's the actual model of the computer and specs? And what's the OS?

What software have you installed? Have you installed any new drivers? This is a uncommon BSOD for sure but the thing is that it has to be caused by something outside of normal usage. So if you got VLC from a site OTHER than VLC's site then i would say you could very possibly be infected with something that is causing this.

Have you got any protection on the PC?

I didn't actually install VLC, just did the download a few times to see if it would work. Didn't execute the .exe file. I downloaded from the official VLC site.

It is a Asus netbook 1005ha.

Only things that I have installed are:
Symantec Endpoint
MS Office 2007
Firefox
TightVNC Viewer (just an executable, not actually installed to the HD)
And I have ran the Windows Update.

That's it.

The memtest cycled through 8 times and found no errors.

What's happening...?

It was just sitting there no programs open and it restarted or shut down? Also, what's the actual model of the computer and specs? And what's the OS?

Asus netbook 1005HA
1 GB RAM
160 GB HD
Windows XP SP 3.

I did.

Updated virus/spyware definitions and ran 2 scans.

Completely clean.

Do you think I should return this machine...?

Not sure if I can resolve this issue, or if it is serious.

If it is serious, it would probably be better to return for another.

Otherwise, if it can be fixed easily, then I could look into that.

Do not double post. Use the edit button. If you feel that returning the laptop is best, then return it. It's hard for us to diagnose a problem like this without actually having the comp.

Oh shoot, sorry about posting 2 messages.

Not thinking!

My apologies.

What does this mean anyway:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 e8154000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f7b266b1, parameter4 00000001.

From what I have researched, it appears that there is a problem with the RAM? or a driver?

There are no Yellow triangles under Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom