How to retrieve notebook backup data? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default How to retrieve notebook backup data?

I have HP pavillon dv9000 notebook which seems like dead now. I am trying to figure out its problems.
Any way I have been running windows vista OS on this machine and seagate free agent external hard drive as back up data.

My external hard drive is ntfc formated. I have been using vista OS to back up my files. I think I have clicked every thing in the security suite to back up like music, files etc.

Lets say my notebook is either dead or hard drive is dead, how do I retrieve my data. These are zip files. Do I need to have a pc to retrieve this data? If yes, then does this PC has to have vista OS.

I do have a mac notebook, with tiger OS (OS 10.4), can I retrieve this data with my mac?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: How to retrieve notebook backup data?

I do not think Mac can read or write to NTFS. I do not think Mac can even recognize NTFS drive at all. So Mac is out. You will need to use this drive with a Windows OS or a Linux LiveCD to get the data back.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I used to have OS 10.3 which would not recognize any ntfc formatted drive. But now I am running 10.4 which can see ntfc formatted drives but retrieving data is something else.
How about my bookmarks in the internet browser? Would that information be there?
Q. Let say I plugged in this hard drive into new computer and then I just have to click at the zipfiles to get back the data or I need to do something else? What about which window OS do i need? vista, XP or 2000?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I didn't know where to post this so move it if necessary, but I had a similar (same?) question. I have an old laptop that is dead, like it will turn on for about 5-10 seconds and then burns out again. There's nothing I can do to it myself and it was going to cost way too much to send it in to get looked at. Is there any way to retrieve off of such a laptop? I never really paid much attention or cared well for this last laptop, so I don't know if the data was backed up anywhere. Is there anything that will either retrieve whatever was in the computer, or delete it altogether? I'm not overly concerned about getting the files/data back for myself, but I was considering selling it on ebay for whatever I could in parts. I don't want anyone else being able to go into it and get all my information. any ideas? thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by naash View Post
I used to have OS 10.3 which would not recognize any ntfc formatted drive. But now I am running 10.4 which can see ntfc formatted drives but retrieving data is something else.
How about my bookmarks in the internet browser? Would that information be there?
Q. Let say I plugged in this hard drive into new computer and then I just have to click at the zipfiles to get back the data or I need to do something else? What about which window OS do i need? vista, XP or 2000?
The browser information will be kept in the repected folders. The Favorites folder under Documents and Settings for IE and under the App Data folder for Firefox and Opera.

You can use any OS to retrieve the Data. Be it Windows 95 all the way to Windows Vista. That does not matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryc86 View Post
I didn't know where to post this so move it if necessary, but I had a similar (same?) question. I have an old laptop that is dead, like it will turn on for about 5-10 seconds and then burns out again. There's nothing I can do to it myself and it was going to cost way too much to send it in to get looked at. Is there any way to retrieve off of such a laptop? I never really paid much attention or cared well for this last laptop, so I don't know if the data was backed up anywhere. Is there anything that will either retrieve whatever was in the computer, or delete it altogether? I'm not overly concerned about getting the files/data back for myself, but I was considering selling it on ebay for whatever I could in parts. I don't want anyone else being able to go into it and get all my information. any ideas? thanks
To retrieve the data do the same that is suggested above. Take out the drive and attach it to another PC.

For destruction of the data. Same thing. Take it out and either attach it to another PC and use DBan on it or just take a sledgehammer to it and shatter it. Either way will get rid of the data on it real good and fast.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you are trying to get data from a laptop IDE hard drive you will need a 2.5 to a 3.5in hard drive adapter.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

or boot it with a bartpe disc
Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

For destruction of the data. Same thing. Take it out and either attach it to another PC and use DBan on it or just take a sledgehammer to it and shatter it. Either way will get rid of the data on it real good and fast. [/QUOTE]

From where one can get DBan or similar softwares? I never used this software so don't know.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker

Darik's Boot and Nuke (Hard Drive Disk Wipe)

Active@ Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser. Low Level Format.

Best two options for you. I'd reccomend DBAN for you, though, since you want complete data destruction.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If you would use the Index provieded here you would see that there is a topic called Recommended Software for certain tasks. In there i have all the links to the software.

Closed Thread