how to resize Hard Drive in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxblaza117

In Runtime
I am trying to resize my partition on a single hard drive because i want to make room for another partition, to hopefully dual boot with linux. i cant seem to figure out how to resize my C drive. any one know?

If all space has been allocated you would need a partitioning program to perform said operation such as partition magic..without wiping out the entire drive that is...you can do it with the disk management utility if the space was never allocated really easy...usually though on a home computer when it is first setup all space is allocated.

yea i have tried partition magic but whenever i reboot inorder to do the actual resizing of the partition i get an error, i believe error 1529. i have run chkdsk multiple times and still nothing. any clues?

according to symantec this is the error:

#1529 Information mismatch in directory entry
A file attribute stored in a file record is different from the attribute stored in its directory entry. If this error is in a system file (file 0–10), Windows NT CHKDSK does not fix it, but Windows NT rebuilds the root directory on the partition the next time the operating system is started.

so how do i fix it?

Have to find out from Symantec. Cause it is something with their application. If Windows NT Chkdsk cant fix it then nothing with XP will do. There has to be a fix with Symantec.

Could always try GParted. I know that also does this. Have you tried Disk Management in XP?

It is clear. Drive Management. Right click on Computer>Manage>Drive Management. See if you can create a partition with that utiltity. If not then you have to use Acronis, GParted or Partition Magic. All of which have walk throughs and everything else provided thru a nice easy Google search.

If you are resizing to dual boot with Linux, and if you happen to be installing Ubuntu, you don't have to do anything. Resizing and partitioning is part of the Ubuntu installation process.

It is clear. Drive Management. Right click on Computer>Manage>Drive Management. See if you can create a partition with that utiltity. If not then you have to use Acronis, GParted or Partition Magic. All of which have walk throughs and everything else provided thru a nice easy Google search.

How do you resize using Drive Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom