How to replace OS (old XP not genuine ) with new OS (XP Media Center)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LULUMARA2

Solid State Member
Can you show me how to replace an OS (old XP not genuine) with a new OS (XP Media Center) . Should I remove the old XP ?and how?:( :( :(

I would advise you to do a fresh install. First, backup important files (you should always do this before reinstalling your OS), and uninstall all your programs. Then, put in the installation CD for XP Media Center 2005. Restart your computer, and set your BIOS so that your computer boots from your CD-ROM drive before the hard drive. Your computer will boot into the Setup program.

At one point, it will ask you which partition to install Windows on. Choose the existing partition, and it will install right over the old copy. This will also preserve your files. However, you will have to reinstall all your programs.

If you need any more help, let me know specifically what you're having trouble with.

Dan

What do you mean by setting your BIOS I'm not so familiar with it,Can you clarify on it.Is it the Device Driver software? I had a Dell device driver with diagnostic utilities.

The BIOS is a chip on your motherboard that contains the software your computer uses to detect devices before the OS is loaded. When you start your computer, you should see a message that says something like "Press DEL to enter Setup," or "Press F2 to change settings." Press that key, and it will bring you into a DOS-looking program. That program will have a section that deals with boot options, and there you should find a boot priority list. Just make sure the CD comes before the hard drive.

The manual for your motherboard will have more detailed info on your BIOS. They are all different, so I can't really be that specific.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom