How to recover corrupted files? HELP! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2005, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default How to recover corrupted files? HELP!

Hello, How can I recover corrupted files from a Hard Drive?, I've done some search on google but all I get is links to sites who sell software to repair corrupted files but I don't even know which one works, I would really like to know if there's a free utility or one that I can try first in order to see if it works, also if someone knows a method that I could try myself in order to recover those files I'd be grateful if you'd let me know

I was checking some folders on my external USB hard drive on the Windows explorer and suddenly I got a windows notification that sayed "the following files couldn't be saved to your hard drive" and now when I want to open that folder again I get the message "the folder or files are corrupted and unreadeable"

The files are some .flac music files VERY IMPORTANT to me, I use Windows XP pro

Also: How can I prevent from this happening again and what could be the cause?

Old 10-21-2005, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

do a search for it on here...

there is a lot of stuff...
to prevent it, well, there really is no garantee, but one thing, is use NTFS inplace of fat32, which is default on more externals... than run a checkdisk now and again to keep it healthy...

good luck
Closed Thread