how to reboot a computer after reflormatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldwind

Solid State Member
i reflormatted my nec computer and now i can not get it to take the boot disc that i have. and i also tried to put in windows 95 instead of windows 98 and it would not work.. it wiped out the c drive and i cannot get it to take the command to put it back in..
i am not a computer person and so i have no ideal what to do or how to do it...

You are going to need to go into the BIOS (can usually be done by pressing F1 or delete just as computer is starting up.) You will be looking for the boot order, which on my computers is under the advanced whatever section. Once your in there, you will need to set the first boot device as the cd-rom, assuming that you are trying to boot from cd-rom. Also, after you have windows installed, make sure you go back into the BIOS and change the boot order back to normal or it ill always ask you for a cd on startup. Hope it helps

What you must do is go into your bios. Most computers you press f8 f9 f1 or delete. Find boot order. And as the first one put cd-rom or floppy depending on which device ur trying to access with your os. Basically what paintballer said. To install an o/s there is no command prompt just bios boot order.

help still

i did try what you all said to do but it did not let me into it.. and it still will not take the boot disk that i have.. and still the cd rom is not working so i am using a floppy disc to try and reboot.. but not haveing any luck..
the only thing i get is a message saying that there is an error and to replace to disc and punch any key to do somethign but then it does not work either,,,, just get that one message,, error in dic...
how can i get that cdrom to work soi can put in windows../

First off, I'm a little lost. What wont it let you into? BIOS? If you didn't get into BIOS and change the boot order then the boot disk definately won't work. I will be glad to help but could just clear that up for me a little bit?

goldwind said:
i reflormatted my nec computer and now i can not get it to take the boot disc that i have. and i also tried to put in windows 95 instead of windows 98 and it would not work.. it wiped out the c drive and i cannot get it to take the command to put it back in..
i am not a computer person and so i have no ideal what to do or how to do it...

Please let me email you a W98 "system disk" that works.
W95 requires a Dos install first then a cdrom driver disk,then w95
Mine is usable.
:(

to get into bios you need to "hold down2 the delete key on your keyboard as the system is booting. if that doesn't work try pressing esc which will take you to the post screen, there should be a message there telling you which key to press to enter setup. once in you'll find boot options in the main menu highlight it using the arrow keys then press enter. you need to have cd rom before the hard drive. set it to floppy, cd rom then hard drive.
if there is a boot menu go to boot device priority.
hope this helps

what to d or how to do it?

ok, i did what u said about going into the bois, i punched the esc key repeatedly and so then it brought up the boot screen in which u are talking about and u highlighted the cd rom and punched enter,,, and then it went right back to where it was before and said that there was an error and to replace disk and try again..and then press any key to go ahead,, well, i did that and so nothign happened, just kept repeating its self on the screen, right down the screen.. and that is all i get out of it.. nothin else or i am still doing something wrong or what i do not know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom