how to password protect a drive that is shared on a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloman02

In Runtime
Hello, I have a notebook with wireless access to my schools network. I want to password protect my D: drive( i have 2 partitons, the os is on c: and the cd is E: since I share that with the nework so I can work on my web pages for class at home. I have windows xp home. all the computers at school run windows 2000. i know how to share a drive and ut a firewall up. ppl can see my drive on the network, how do I make it so that they either have to enter a password, or a username and password?

For the pw/username you must create local accounts on your machine they can utalize when they "login" to your drive...
If you don't want them in your drive at all : through the permissions section remove the "everyone" folder or simply limit this "everyone" group to read only.

i copied this from another forum where I posted this same question. it it not directed at you.
I have win xp home on my notebook. at school ( i have done this) I can find my note book under the windows domain, there are two catagories, my school, and workgroup (windows default) i go into workgroup and see my computer name. since I shared my D: drive, my data partition, i have access to it from ANY computer on the school network, no username/password needed. I have set up a password on my notebook so that if someone turns it on, they cannot get to my files. I want to make it so that someone from the outside has a login window popup if they try to access my shared drive via the school network. I have searched, but have come up short. Personally, I think it is the crap OS OI have installed(home, i have a copy of pro, but I paid for home on the notebook, so I might as well get my money out of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom