how to partition,shared folder, and restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverseiskweled

Solid State Member
I started a topic about cleaning my comp, and someone told me that I could partition my computer to save myself from having to put all my music back when I restore my computer.

I would like to know how to do this so that I can KEEP all my MUSIC and COMPLETELY RESTORE MY COMPUTER.

I am just sick of trying to deal with all the crap that has piled up (got careless for a short time and now I just can't fix it.)

so if anyone can let me know, enlighten me as to how to partition my computer.

if you don;t know how to do that, remind me how to make a shared folder so that I can just plop it all onto a laptop, reset my computer, and put it all back on.

Lastly, this is a hefty one, but how to I restore my computyer to the state of when I put it on my desk out of the box

The safest way is to backup all your personal files (music, videos, etc), you can backup to CD/DVD. The boot your computer from the Windows XP CD. When you get to the part where you select the hard disk you choose to delete the current partition (which probably uses your entire hard disk). Then select to create a new partition and enter a size. Not install Windows on that partition. You can add a second partition later in Windows, or you can do it at the same screen where you created the first partition.

If you have a Dell or some other retail computer your hard disk may contain a recovery partition and you may have a recovery CD that came with the system. Using those you can restore the computer to its original state. If you do not have a recovery partition and/or recovery CD you can't. All you can do it install a fresh copy of Windows.

If you have 2 partitions, use the second partition to store your personal files. If Windows crashes you can format the first partition without worrying about your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom