How often do you reinstall XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
So I've had my Dell desktop computer now for probably 3 1/2 years or so. Since that time, I've never had to reinstall XP for any reason. (knock wood).

The system still seems to run pretty well, despite the usual "wear and tear" of daily usage of the operating system. I use Kaspersky Internet Security, scan for spyware with different programs, use cleaning programs such as CCleaner, and take a multivitamin (wait..wrong forum).

But seriously, I rarely if ever get blue screens, and there is nothing significant that doesn't work (although system restore is the only thing I can think of....)

I always wonder if the system would perform better with an XP reinstall, even if its not 100% necessary. I read some people do this every 6 months or so. Keep in mind, I'm not a techie, so a reinstall would probably be a pain in the butt for me.

So my questions are:

- How do I know how much better performance I would get with reinstall?
- How often do you reinstall your Operating system, if ever??
- Is there an easy tutorial somewhere if I wanted to do this myself?
- Is there a system test to see how my OS stacks up versus a fresh install?
- Am I simply looking for trouble or should I just leave my system alone?

FYI, I have Dell Desktop, Windows XP, SP3, Pentium 4, 1 GB Memory, 80 GB HD......

Love to hear others thoughts on voluntary reinstalls.....thanks......

I reinstall once a month on average. Sometimes more, sometime less. :cool:

- How do I know how much better performance I would get with reinstall? Fresh systems almost always perform better on most ocassions.

- How often do you reinstall your Operating system, if ever?? I reinstall once a month on average. Sometimes more, sometime less. Just think, the more you do it, the better you will be at it, the more problems you run into the better you will be able to fix them.

- Is there an easy tutorial somewhere if I wanted to do this myself?

XP Clean Install
http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,369-page,3-bid,4/video.html
Or create an image

- Is there a system test to see how my OS stacks up versus a fresh install? If you had a VMWARE image running you could possibly do this.

- Am I simply looking for trouble or should I just leave my system alone? Go ahead and clean it, its probably past due and Im sure you will notice a difference. Over time "things" happen, you install programs, programs you dont need, etc, driver issues, 1000's of things can happen. So go ahead. We are here to help if you run into trouble.

Since Osiris did such a good job I will just add I do it about every 3 months.

We are exceptions to the general rule.

I reinstall whenever my comp starts getting a little too slow for my liking. Which is usually between three and six months.

How long would you guys say the whole process takes from beginning to end? Also, besides backing up all your data, is there one or two things that are "must do" to make sure process goes smoothly?

How long would you guys say the whole process takes from beginning to end? Also, besides backing up all your data, is there one or two things that are "must do" to make sure process goes smoothly?

Well there's backing up whatever data you want, which entirely depends on how much you have. Could take between ten minutes and ten hours, or more.
Actually installing XP is pretty quick, about half an hour. Depends on comp speed; it used to take about two hours on my old comp.
Then setting XP up (i.e. updates, basic programs, drivers) depends on your connection speed; between an hour to three on average for me.

Usually I wait for the weekend for this sort of thing :)

Usually twice a year on my laptop. Far far more on my desktop - probably about 10 times a year on there (as it is my 'messin around' computer).

I've been running the current Vista installation on my desktop for a little over a year now with out any problems.

My current laptop has been running one xp install for the 6 months I have had it. However I just installed Windows 7 in a dual boot so I will probably remove xp as soon as I get everything set up in 7.

Wow, very enlightening. I have been lucky then. I am in a similar boat as the OP, as I haven't "had" to reinstall in about 2 years - the current lifetime of this laptop. Should I have well is another story I suppose. I am seeing that I could probably benefit from a fresh install.

Not to "hijack" this thread but it does seem to be on-topic ( to me anyway ):

Since most of you are reinstalling fairly often (monthly, bi-monthly, etc), how are you doing your backups ? Are you ? If so, how ? Seems very important if you are going to reinstall everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom