How much disc drive space on SSD does Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit require

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Trying to make sure I will be ok with a 64 gb SSD running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with a couple of programs on it too.

Can someone tell me how much space Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit requires? Microsoft clearly states this:

"16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)" on their website here: Windows 7 System Requirements

I have read some posts where some people have got it down to as low as 7GB.

Can anyone shed some light in this area for me?

Also, any suggestions on how to make is smaller without endangering the system?

And how about changing the page file? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Soar

You will be fine with a 64GB SSD. I have at least 200 programs installed. I am using only 65GB of my possible 184GB on my system drive. That includes all updates and so much more. This also includes 2 versions of Expression from Microsoft as i didnt remove version 3 when i just installed version 4. So i could easily clear up another 4-5GB just by removing that.

I highly doubt that with Windows and a few programs you will fill up all 64GB.

I have an OCZ 30GB SSD, running Windows 7 x64. I have 4.19GB free of 29.8GB. I run most programs on my SSD. The only ones I don't are Photshop, Dreamweaver, and games. All downloads go to a separate drive.

You will be fine with a 64GB SSD. I have at least 200 programs installed. I am using only 65GB of my possible 184GB on my system drive. That includes all updates and so much more. This also includes 2 versions of Expression from Microsoft as i didnt remove version 3 when i just installed version 4. So i could easily clear up another 4-5GB just by removing that.

I highly doubt that with Windows and a few programs you will fill up all 64GB.

Thanks Mak for your encouragement.

I am sorry, but I did make a mistake in my original post...I stated that I will use a 64 gb ssd, when in reality I plan on using the Intel X25-V 40gb SSD [I forgot that I had just changed my mind yesterday on this issue].

Will I be ok with this 40gb ssd?

Thanks,

Soar

PS I think the only programs outside the OS would be MS Office 2010 Pro, Firefox, and anti virus..

I have an OCZ 30GB SSD, running Windows 7 x64. I have 4.19GB free of 29.8GB. I run most programs on my SSD. The only ones I don't are Photshop, Dreamweaver, and games. All downloads go to a separate drive.

MoM,

Thank you for your post. I have read in many forums that a minimum of 10-20% of the SSD's storage space should be left unused, even partioned, and left alone for stability and speed issues...

Aren't you cutting that a little short?

Soar

My desktop works fine. I just run CCleaner once in awhile, and I'm fine. Boot up time is phenomenal. Welcome to the SSD club! :D

Soar, Please use the edit button. You double post all the time. Read the Welcome thread on how to muti-quote posts and read the whole topic first before responding.

Now to answer your question, let me ask my own. Do you really think that Office, Firefox and an anti-virus along with the OS itself really would fill up 40GB? So now that you think about the question asked you can figure out the answer for yourself.

Soar, Please use the edit button. You double post all the time. Read the Welcome thread on how to muti-quote posts and read the whole topic first before responding.

Now to answer your question, let me ask my own. Do you really think that Office, Firefox and an anti-virus along with the OS itself really would fill up 40GB? So now that you think about the question asked you can figure out the answer for yourself.

Well, I was trying to get some input in regards to upcoming Windows Updates, service packs, page file, and whatever else is involved with Win 7,etc. I was thinking along the lines that every GB counts when I am limited to 40gb.

You are right, I have been having trouble with double posting. I will read the Welcome thread now and learn how to multi-quote. EDIT: Oh.....just tried to find the Welcome Thread, and could not find it...

Sorry to inform you, but only Microsoft will be able to provide you with the information your looking for. There is no way that anyone on this site or any other could possibly know how big the updates, service packs and other items released by Microsoft would be.

I know i have said it multiple times and i know there is at least 1 thread in the Sticky index that talks about it. Move the page file to a different drive if you are that worried about it. Who says it has to stay on the same drive? You actually get a bit more of a performance increase by moving it to another drive.

If you are that worried about space and really want the SSD drive, just wait till you can get a larger drive so you dont have to worry about space. Dont jump into the SSD world with a drive with minimal space so you can worry about every single thing you do. In the end you only hurt yourself and your machine more. I mean is it really that bad having a SATA 3GB's drive compared to an SSD? Does that extra second really make that much difference? Is it that important that you have your machine boot 10 seconds faster? If even that fast. Mine only takes 30 seconds tops to go from a cold boot to my desktop and i only have a SATA 1.5GB's drive not even the fastest out there.

Alright quick lesson on multi-quotes. The button right next to the quote button is the + button. Click on each post you want to quote. Then hit New Post. There you will see each of the replies you want to quote and you can respond to them. Makes life much simplier.

Sorry to inform you, but only Microsoft will be able to provide you with the information your looking for. There is no way that anyone on this site or any other could possibly know how big the updates, service packs and other items released by Microsoft would be.

I know i have said it multiple times and i know there is at least 1 thread in the Sticky index that talks about it. Move the page file to a different drive if you are that worried about it. Who says it has to stay on the same drive? You actually get a bit more of a performance increase by moving it to another drive.

If you are that worried about space and really want the SSD drive, just wait till you can get a larger drive so you dont have to worry about space. Dont jump into the SSD world with a drive with minimal space so you can worry about every single thing you do. In the end you only hurt yourself and your machine more. I mean is it really that bad having a SATA 3GB's drive compared to an SSD? Does that extra second really make that much difference? Is it that important that you have your machine boot 10 seconds faster? If even that fast. Mine only takes 30 seconds tops to go from a cold boot to my desktop and i only have a SATA 1.5GB's drive not even the fastest out there.

Alright quick lesson on multi-quotes. The button right next to the quote button is the + button. Click on each post you want to quote. Then hit New Post. There you will see each of the replies you want to quote and you can respond to them. Makes life much simplier.

Mak,

Ok, your advice is actually very good again. Thanks. And thank you also for helping me to understand the multiple quotes feature. I had only heard of it but never knew how to utilize that feature. Now I do.

You helped me to realize I allowed myself to become impatient with this new build [I have been waiting 3 months, patiently gathering all items at huge discounted prices, but I did not want to wait on this last item, the infamous SSD!

It is not easy when you've waited 3 months, have everything sittin' right in front of you ready to go...

I suppose the patient thing to do would be to use one of the platter drives for another couple of months and by then there will be bigger and better SSD's at much more reasonable prices...I just did not want to have to reload everything all over again...

I just picked up a copy of Ghost 15 and Acronis True Image...perhaps that is the way to go, just transfer everything to the SSD using one of those programs...

Anyway, have a great day and thanks again for the months [and years?] of excellent advice you have given me.

Soar

I mean is it really that bad having a SATA 3GB's drive compared to an SSD? Does that extra second really make that much difference? Is it that important that you have your machine boot 10 seconds faster? If even that fast. Mine only takes 30 seconds tops to go from a cold boot to my desktop and i only have a SATA 1.5GB's drive not even the fastest out there.

Yes, it's really that bad. It's literally a night and day difference in performance. Also the different SATA versions don't have any impact on hard drive performance since no (consumer) mechanical drives are fast enough to saturate a SATA 1.5GB's interface.

I just picked up a copy of Ghost 15 and Acronis True Image...perhaps that is the way to go, just transfer everything to the SSD using one of those programs...

Most if not all cloning software does not align partitions correctly on SSDs which negatively impacts performance. It's best to just do a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom