How to make remote control possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

theo

Solid State Member
I want to know how i can connect to an other computer by modem
I'm using PcAnywhere 11 and i can simply connect to an other
cable modem just bij typing the IP-Adress of the host.

But with an modem that isn't possible because everytime the
remote user (host) connect to the internet the last number of
the ip-adress is different so that my ip-adress for the host is wrong. I tried to set an ip-adress so it will not be changed and
i tried also to just connect to the hostname but that doesn't work.

Also when i select the modem as host connect device i still
can't connect to it from home.

The simple questions is, how to connect to a modem with a
cable modem trough pc-anywhere

I havent used PC-Anywhere so im not sure if it has to be a numeric ip in order for it to work.
If it supports alphnumeric of web addresses you can use a Dynamic DNS host.
Have a look at http://www.no-ip.com
Basically how it works is you have a domain name that you sign up for (for free)
And you download their software which is a server sitting in your machine which sends your ip address to their website and they assign it to your domain name.

In the end (if all goes well) all you need to type into PC-Anywhere is www.whateveryousignedupfor.no-ip.com and it will connect to your modem no matter what the ip is

i use dyndns.org for the DNS service and i use Dynamic DNS 5 for the IP updater program. the updater requests your IP from a server and if it has changed from the last time it was requested it , the updater program will log into your DNS service account and update it for you.

so instead of typing in a quad number like 183.63.47.83 you would type in the account wazzup.dyndns.org. you need to have the IP updater run every time windows starts on the client machines and create accounts for each machine on the DNS service.

to startup as a service is a option in the updater program or you will have to add the program to your windows startup folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom