How to make ISO back up of computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clonezilla requires the destination drive to be equal to or larger than the source drive, so it must not do any compression. An imaging program with compression would be a better choice.

Does it have to be equal to the source drive, or just everything on the drive??? Because that would be real tuff to make a back up CD/DVD. About how big would this back up Image be, I guess is what I'm trying to say???

Thanks again...

oh, and when I burn the ISO image. Is that automatically the back up image???

thanks again

It would have to be equal to the size of the drive/partition used when you installed. The backup image would be the same size. Some programs like Acronis even image the free space to give you a sector by sector direct image of your hard drive when you make the image. Others just take the used space by the OS. You will have to find one that works for you in the way you want.

No you Brun the ISO of CloneZilla, that is the program that you use to boot from and make the image.

You're not creating an ISO image of your system. Regardless of the program you use, you don't end up with an ISO file. You're confusing technologies. Programs that make image backups of a hard drive create some type of image file, but it's not the same as an optical ISO image. You use the program's boot disk to boot the imaging program and then you select the image you created.

okay, I hate to keep this thread alive, but I gotta.

So If i'm making an image of my desk top (1TB HDD), does this mean that's how big the back up image is going to be???

Thanks again. I'm in denial that the back up image has to be the same size as the parition. I guess that's my hang up...

Okay Kmote, Question. So you DL'd the clonezilla software onto the computer to Back up? Then you take that file and just burn it to a disk? Because I got the clone Zilla softeware but it's a bunch of Files. So confused what to do with it.

Sorry, I feel like I need someone to hold my hand.. ;)

oh yea, I would also prefer to put these on DVD's. Now hypathetically, lets say the 1TB hard drive come out to 11GB aswell, is there a way to split this image up and put it on 3 DVD's??

Thanks again

Please use the edit button.

I just downloaded the ISO Clonezilla-live download and burned it to disk with imgburn like any other linux distro.

I don't know about putting it onto DVD as I just ssh'd it to my server although it is split into several files... you may have to put them (the image files) onto a HDD and then burn them to a DVD later as I don't recall that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom