how to install windows on an 'Additional' Hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickyuis

Solid State Member
basically i took my friends Hard drive home cause he wanted me to install windows for him and then hand him back the HD.

but for some reason its not letting me do it. i go through the same procedures.

unplug my existing hd, and then plug in his HD (to save confusion). and load up the RAID drivers (sata2 hd's).
wait for it to finish loading up the files (blue screen)

and straight after that, its 'supposed' to go to the next blue screen where you press f8 and select which HD to install windows to.

mine does not do that afterwards, instead it just gives me a blue screen ERROR.

ive tried near enough everything to solve this problem, including taking my whole pc apart and inspecting anything wrong with my hardware and everythings fine.
so im guessing its a procedure that im doing wrong somewhere?

so im thinking, is there a way where i can basically install windows while IN windows.

cause if i run my windows from MY HD as normal and connect my friends hard drive so that i can see it in 'my computer', and install it whilst already in windows. is that possible?

or is there a way i can just copy the files from the cd to the HD and it will run windows as normal?....basically like a copy-and-paste procedure....or is it abit more complicated than that?

would really appreciate any help i can get on this guys.....THANKS :D

The Hard Drive could be faulty with bad sectors
plug urs and ur friends in
goto run,
type cmd
type chkdsk X: /f /r (where x is your friends)
and wait
after so long it will have the results
if any bad sectors then soemtimes
its very complicated to get windows to install on the faulty hd

ive checked his hard drive with bodt CHKDSK AND NORTON PARTITION MAGIC but none of them show ANY errors?

even if you do get windows installed. he WILL NOT be able to use the hd. windows does not like a mobo switch. Ive read somewhere that everytime windows boots up that it checks to see if the BIOS CPU, serial of the cpu, and anything hooked up to the primary IDE cable. even if thats false every time i even thought about switching mobos with xp.. wouldnt happen. i got the error "MACHINE PROTECTION RESTART COMPUTER" well something to that nature. get him to bring his enitre comp over.. which will be easyer anyways.

harley3344 said:
even if you do get windows installed. he WILL NOT be able to use the hd. windows does not like a mobo switch. Ive read somewhere that everytime windows boots up that it checks to see if the BIOS CPU, serial of the cpu, and anything hooked up to the primary IDE cable. even if thats false every time i even thought about switching mobos with xp.. wouldnt happen. i got the error "MACHINE PROTECTION RESTART COMPUTER" well something to that nature. get him to bring his enitre comp over.. which will be easyer anyways.
totaly agrees with that !!

EVEN BIGGER PROBLEM NOW!!!

ok now i have an even bigger problem!!!

after trying to use norton partition magic to install the OS onto another partition on my own HD. it now comes up with an 'system disk error'.

not that i havent seen that before, and thought just a reformat and reinstall of windows would do the trick.

which is what i did, and everything was ok until after the loading screen came up (windows xp logo with the moving bar at the bottom)

then im sure it was supposed to take me to the windows setup (choose regional options, verify serial etc)....but it doesnt?
its just a black screen with my mouse cursor and thats it. i thought i would leave it to load for a while......fell asleep.......and after even 5 hours it was still on the same screen (black screen with a white mouse cursor).

so i restarted my computer and now theres like an option to choose 3 different windows xp's?
but their all the same....im guessing just installed into different partitions of the hard drive.

and my computer still just stays on that black screen now after the load-up screen, any help guys???!!!

THANKS

harley3344 said:

I agree with this, but there has to be a way around it. How would IT guys use ghosting of hdd's to get everything installed quickly on hundreds of computers if there is no way around this? They surely don't go an run the windows installation on every of a thousand computers...that would take months!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom