How to install Windows 98SE w/o floppy and w/o cd-rom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no offense but no we wont. we already got flash drives they will take apart floppies! and besides the stupid disks always corrupt my data. no matter where i put them or store them seems like its always a gamble to put stuff on them for me

edit.. if i find an extra floppy drive i can prolly mail you it if you like, i doubt it but it is up to you

First, you do NOT need a floppy drive.

LegendBreath: Why can't you boot from the CD? Have you checked BIOS to see if it is enabling boot from CD? I'd check that ASAP as I've had same problem, but I fixed it by setting BIOS to boot from CD there.

-SkyHi

yes ski but from what i went through with my 95 i couldn't.
simply i tried but it loaded the disk then loaded windows 95. i dont know, however, about 98 but maybe you dont then. I would suggest trying with a disk

Either a Floppy drive or a CD ROM.

Some versions of Win98 were actually bootable CD's. If your BIOS will let u boot from a CDROM... i suggest trying that. Otherwise, use a program like nero to take an image from a windows 98 floppy and emulate it onto a CD (Bootable CD). From there you can do what ever - a startupdisk and windows 98 on one CD! Very convenient!

SkyHi said:
First, you do NOT need a floppy drive.

LegendBreath: Why can't you boot from the CD? Have you checked BIOS to see if it is enabling boot from CD? I'd check that ASAP as I've had same problem, but I fixed it by setting BIOS to boot from CD there.

-SkyHi

To old...

If it won't boot from a CD you can borrow a floppy drive from another computer. You either need the win98 startup disk which will load generic cd-rom drivers so you can install win98 from the CD or you can take a disk image from any win98 computer and clone it to your old computer by slaving a second hard disk. Ghost is a good disk cloning program to try. you would use a partition clone to an image file than restore that image to your old computer.

id agree with the post bout putting a floppy drive from another computer in.. that could do it. if not u can buy one cheap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom