How to Install Old Hardrive in a Barebones system ?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default How to Install Old Hardrive in a Barebones system ??

I'm looking for some simple instructions on how to install the harddrive from my old PC here to a new barebones system.

I want to retain ALL the data on my drive and don't want to reformat it (if possible).

I tried installing the HD and tried to boot the new system up and all I get is a LINE (DASH) and cannot proceed from there.

My HD has XP Pro O/S on it currently.

Ideas ??

Old 07-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

As far as i'm aware its not possible.

the OS on that HDD is junk unless its running on the mobo it was installed on. At the very least you'd have to reactivate and re run the setup portion of the install which would be tantamount to a fresh install but just less reliable.

I suggest you reinstall windows. Natually all your programs will need to be reinstalled to but the other data (documents, save games etc..) will be fine.

Intel core I7 920
6GB OCZ platinum 1600
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 07-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I believe the Windows XP from the old hard drive detected that the new hardware configuration is different from the one it was setup in, that's why it could not boot up.

You may need to repair Windows XP. But since you want to retain your data, I suggest that you put the hard drive back in the old pc. Partition it into drive C: and drive D: (

Then transfer My Documents (which contains all your data, I hope!) to the newly-partitioned drive D.

Now transfer the hard drive to your barebone system and do a Windows repair or fresh install on drive C:.

Hope this helps.
Closed Thread