How important is it that i backup before installing SP2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohh my godd.. Man Jason.. where did you find this thread?? whew- Well I installed it and as far as I can tell it didnt mess up my computer (ive since reinstalled for a few diff reasons). But am unable to reinstall because.. my Windows is from a less than reputable source and doesnt meet the installation requirements of Microsoft.

My one opinion out of the many here may not matter, but what the hey. I have installed SP2 both on all my home PC's and work PC's and have had NO problems. To say you are"screwed for sure" if you install it is a false statement and should not be honored as a fact.

I run a bunch of proprietary software at both locations (Cisco VPN software, VNC software, AS/400, etc etc) and have not had any problems. I work on a corporate env of about 300 on site PC's and of those only had to remove SP2 from 3 machines and this is only due to the fact that we were going to be installing software that was not compatible with SP2.

I would recommend like any other network administrator would to setup a proper testing env if massively deploying this on a network. For a home user I say what the hay go ahead and install it. The only way you will ever lose data is if you reformat, not by applying patches. Even if the system is not bootable you can always pull data off by slaving it to another drive.

holy crap I just relaized how old this was!LOL..well all those posts makes sense then. You can ignore me if you wish.

I have 2 xp rigs. Sp2 is on both and running smooth. I did have to install it twice on both systems.Take this advise very seriously!!!!! Download the sp2 complete file . Do not let let microsoft handle your installation online. The reason I had to install twice ! I forgot to turn off programs in the background. make sure you are offline and your firewall and antivirus is off. Click on the sp2 install file and be patient. It takes a long time and your comp make go blank for a while. As long as your hd is working its installing the sp2 pack. If you are still concerned about problems ,you can set up your own restore point in the system restore program. Start-> programs-> accessories-> system tools-> system restore. For me so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom