How good is Microsoft's free antivirus software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Microsoft has officially unveiled its long-awaited consumer antivirus offering. Formerly code-named “Morro,” it's now been christened Microsoft Security Essentials, and it will enter public beta testing next week. If you have a licensed copy of Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or above), Windows Vista, or Windows 7, you'll be able to download and install the software at no additional charge. No subscription is required for ongoing definition updates, either. The final release is scheduled for this fall.

Microsoft Security Essentials requires validation, which means it won't be available to anyone using a pirated copy of Windows. But it won't require registration or personal information of any kind.

If you get a sense of deja vu when you see Microsoft Security Essentials, that's no accident. It's a pure superset of Microsoft's antispyware product, Windows Defender, which was publicly released nearly three years ago and is included by default with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Microsoft Security Essentials adds antivirus protection—both real-time protection and on-demand scanning—to the mix. It shares the same engine and signatures as other Microsoft antimalware products, including the enterprise-focused Forefront and the monthly Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.

mse-gallery-02-security-settings.jpg

Microsoft says the program is, not surprisingly, Windows Logo Certified and updates its virus and spyware signatures daily through Microsoft Update. New signatures are published three times a day, which means that clients will never get a new update that is less than eight hours old. The core antimalware engine, with new features and bug fixes, is scheduled for updates on a monthly basis. If Automatic Update is enabled, this process will be completely transparent to the user, Microsoft claims.

Like most modern antivirus software, MSE relies on up-to-date signatures, but adds its own cloud-based twists. Contrary to some recent reports, this isn't a cloud-based service. Instead, it offers a dynamic signature service that pushes signatures on a daily basis, but adds the ability to query the signature service when need to reduce the window of exposure to new malware. By monitoring for suspicious behavior, the service can query for a sample when necessary. Rootkit detection features target kernel-mode malware and can detect the sort of tampering in the kernel that is typical of rootkits.

How good is the coverage? Microsoft scored dismal test results in the early days of OneCare, hitting a nadir in 2007, but its record has improved dramatically since. A new study (May 2009) by the independent AV-Comparatives group gave Microsoft OneCare (which shares the same engine and signatures as MSE) its highest (Advanced+) rating. Only 3 of the 16 products in the test earned that rating. Microsoft's technology scored second in the accuracy ratings, behind AVIRA but ahead of AVG, Symantec, McAfee, and a dozen other products. And on the crucial measure of delivering the fewest false positives, Microsoft stood far ahead of the pack, delivering the fewest false positives of any program tested.

In the most recent round of tests from the independent ICSA Labs, Microsoft's technology passed, while McAfee's VirusScan family joined several smaller competitors on the FAIL list.

Source

If you read teh 2nd last paragraph, OneCare was used in the latest test from independent AV-Comparatives group show that the OneCare product, which has the same engine as MSE and definitions, got the highest grade. (Advanced +) which only 2 other product and 3 of 16 total got. Not even AVG or Avast got that.

So that is a good sign that they are making a bit of progress. Not to mention i kinda emphasised the main thing i wanted people to see. The definitions are updated 3 times a day. So they definitions are no more than 8 hours old. I know i have seen NOD32 update a couple times a day but i have never heard of this.

All in all i think it will be great. I will be waiting on the 23rd to sign up ASAP to get into the Beta and test this out. With a low footprint and a high score by independent testers i think this might actually be decent software.

Onecare used to be such ****...my god....good thing they seem to be turning it around but I think how bad their stuff used to be is going to be a big hindrance for the new product line.

I dont think that will happen. I mean if anything it will be a big plus for them. I mean look at how bad people think Vista is but rave about how good Win7 is, when Win7 is just a refined and updated Vista.

This will have the same effect. Not everyone will know that it uses the former OneCare engine. But what they will see is constant updates, low resource usage and decent performance.

Right now with the way the hype is growing about Win7, it can only bolster the hype for MSE.

Of course i could be dead wrong and people will default to thinking about how bad OneCare was at one point and not even try this. Even though it is a free and new product.

Its a Beta and something new for me to try. I will most certainly get it for that reason. XD

I don't remember Onecare being very popular, at least when I was on the retail scene. A big part of that was because it wasn't very good when it first came out but people were buying way more copies of even Mcafee than Onecare. I think people are always really wary of switching their security software around and that's why Norton sells so many copies because even though it's got a lot of annoying "features" and is expensive it still offers a decent degree of protection and people trust it enough to keep buying it year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom