How to get the choice of booting from two HD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
I am sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I can't find it.

And Id rather have it confirmed by a few people here anyways.

So lets say you have two Harddrives in a computer.

One has windows XP home and the other will have Windows 7 64 bit, if the person wanted to have the computer.

What file has to be created or edited so that when the computer is turned on the user gets the option of choosing which OS and two diff HD's will be booted up.

I could probably find it using google, but like I said Id rather hear it from people here. :)

youd have to put one primary and one slave. if i am correct i am pretty sure that is how you do it though

youd have to put one primary and one slave. if i am correct i am pretty sure that is how you do it though

Sorry that has nothing to do with it. That is how to hook up 2 IDE Drives to a system. That will do nothing for you trying to dual boot.

You will have to use EasyBCD Beta 2.0 to add a XP Entry or jsut install Win7 AFTER XP on the new hard drive.

Win7 should detect XP being installed and create a entry for it entitled "Legacy version of Windows" which you could rename with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta anyways.

If not just get it from here and add a entry. It is a simple process and it is even almost fully automated at this point to add the boot.ini and other files as needed to make XP boot properly.

That will get you the dual boot on different drives as easily as you want it. There is also the option to disconnect the XP Drive and install then use the BIOS Boot option (F12) to select the OS as well.

Great, thanks mak.

Im going to do this with windows 7, I mean, its gotta be better than the experiences I had with vista..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom