How to fully back up network drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs2988

Baseband Member
Let me give you the scenario. I have two computers ("Dell" and "Fusion") and one server ("Server"). The Dell and Fusion are running Windows XP Home, and the Server is running Windows XP Professional. What I am trying to do is schedule nightly backups on the Server of all three computers using the Windows Backup Utility. I have three different tasks set, one for each computer, to run at 3 AM, 4 AM, and 5 AM. The problem that I'm having is that the Server cannot access all files on the other two computers (like my Documents and Settings folders, Program Folders, etc.). How can I give access to the server for all of the files and folders on both computers? Here's what I've tried:

In the Scheduled Task's properties, there's a "Run As" field that was set to SERVER\Ryan. I tried to set it to DELL\Ryan, but I get the error: "An error occurred while attempting to set task account information. The specific error is: 0x80041310: Unable to establish existence of the account specified. Ensure the account name specified is valid." Does that mean I can't set a network username there? Being that it has SERVER there originally makes me think that I should be able to.

I also tried to map the network drives using the network username. A couple days ago I tried that and got an error (sorry, don't remember what it was), but I tried again today. It seemed like it accepted it, but when I went into the networked drive I didn't have access like I'm supposed to.

What else can I try? Just to make it clear, YES, I'm 100% sure that my computer and user names are correct. Can anyone show me what I'm doing wrong or suggest another way to get the backup done? Thanks!

use c$ as a switch. Example, if you were to map to a network drive, you would use

\\whatevermynameis\c$

that allows you the entire contents of the drive. I would actually recomend using a tape server.

I'm a little confused as to what you meant, but I tried.

First, I tried to just map the drive and put the $ on the end (\\DELL\C$). It wouldn't let me, so then I set the share name for the drive to C$. Then, I went back and tried to map it again using the $. This time, it brought up a window with the username field greyed out (but it still contained DELL\Guest), and a blank password. I tried to hit ok because I don't think there's a password for guest, but it kept popping up. Then, I clicked on "Connect using a different user name," and entered in DELL\Ryan. It popped up with that username and a blank password. When hit OK it came back up, but this time it had DELL\Guest in the field again. I even tried setting a password for Ryan on the Dell, but that wouldn't work either.

What am I doing wrong?

first off, are all of your computers on a single domain or are you just using workgroups or jsut individual machines?? The $ is to connect to an administrative share of a root of a partition (c is shared on a domain as c$ for any domain admin). If you can't access the files normally, you won't be able to back them up. If all of your machines are acting as standalones (not in a domain or anything) it's easier to make local user accounts for the remote computer to use (this is actually easier than doing the "connect as"). If you can browse to it over the network you should be able to see it to back it up.

I don't know, but I guess I'm just using workgroups. I'm new to networking, but I used Windows XP Network Setup Wizard, and specified different computer names but the same workgroup for all computers. Now... how would I set up a local account for remote use? I don't understand the difference between that and just using the account I have on there now to connect.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but like I said, I'm new to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom