How to format windows 95? Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoax

Baseband Member
I have windows 95 on one of my old computers, and I wanna format it. On the startup, it doesnt load because of some missing files and I get like a black screen with the c:/ command line. When I type, format c:, it tells me "bad command or file name". What can I do? How to I format it?

Thx for any help

format c didnt work because the command "format" isnt there, get a 98 boot disk then format from that. Try bootdisk.com

Cool, thx for that. I formatted, but now I'm getting another error while trying to install windows xp. When I'm in the line for e: (cd rom), and type "install", it tells me.
CDR101: Not ready reading drive E
Abort, Retry, Fail?

I checked all my connections and everything looks fine. Whats the problem?

If you are trying to load Windows XP it would be much easier to boot from the Windows XP CD. Just make sure your CD-ROM drive is being recognized in the BIOS..if it is look at your BOOT order and make sure your CD-ROM is first, FLOPPY is second, and Hard Disk is last (usually hard disk 0). It should then detect the winxp in the drive and ask to push any key to boot from the cd. then it is cherry pie downhill. Boot Disk had an awesome link with a clean Windows XP install in case you have doubts or get confused along the way.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

I tried that, it doesnt load it. It comes back with the prompt line, and when I try to type something.
CDR101: Not ready reading drive E
Abort, Retry, Fail?

I even changed cd-rom thinking it was broken, but I still get the same message. I absolutely NEED this other computer. I tried google and saw other people with the same problem, but no solution.
A cry for help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom