how to format

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdwstfll

In Runtime
my cousins computer is TOTALLY Screwed up and we wanna format it.. but I want to make sure I have a checklist for it.. and how to do it.. i can do it in either ME or 2000 (whichever one is easier) it has split boot right now (not the only reason why we are gonna reformat) and we are just going to have 2000 .. NE HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. i couldnt find a FAQ on it

Jared

i need it kinda more detailed than that lol.. cause ive never done it.. and i dont wanna screw it up horrbily (it cant get much worst than it is now)

If the computers bios has the option to boot from CD then you can do 2k easy.

Before you do this make sure you will have the drivers for your networking card, motherboard drivers would help too. When I format I download every driver I need and burn it cd, I still have to download the updates, but it leads to less downtime.

Do you know how to get to the bios, and change the boot setting to the cd drive? Thats all you pretty much have to do for win2k, it will take you to a menu where you can partition/format and all that good stuff.

Insert your Windows CD.
Reboot the computer. It should either boot from the CD automatically or ask if you would like to boot from the CD. If it does not do either, you may need to change some boot settings in your BIOS. Consult your PC or motherboard's manufacturer if you need help with this step.
Windows Setup will begin.
When asked if you want to set up or repair, hit Enter to set up Windows.
Read the license agreement and hit F8 if you agree.
If the setup program detects an existing installation of Windows and asks if you want to repair it, hit Esc to skip the repair.
The setup program will ask you where to install Windows. Highlight the existing "C: Partition1" partition and hit D to delete it. Hit L to confirm.
Next, hit Enter to install Windows on the "Unpartitioned Space".
Format the space as NTFS and continue the installation.
Later in the setup process, when you are asked for a password for the Administrator account (or any other account) do not leave it blank

it should tell you when doing the memory test.

you could also do it by...

putting in a bootable floppy. it will boot from that, unless you have changed it in the bios. it will take you to DOS, type in "format C:" and the other letters after if there is partitions. the when you have formatted everything, type in "setup d:" and it will start installing the os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom