How to downgrade from windows xp pro to win2k pro - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2004, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Arrow How to downgrade from windows xp pro to win2k pro

hi all

i have windows xp pro w/ service pack 2 installed and im having a bunch of problems with my games right now and i wanted to change back to my windows 2k pro any ideas how to do that,i dont have a bunch of floppys to make a win2k startup disk though.

how do i formatt my windows xp right now install a fresh copy of windows 2k

Old 02-29-2004, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Shrapnill

create a boot disk, run dos, run fdisk, format the entire partition (THIS WILL DESTROY ALL INFO YOU HAVE NOW) then pop in the 2000 disk and youre off.

But what are the issues you have in gaming?? Ive run XP for years now and Ive bever once encountered an easily solved problem.

System specs? Lets just get down to it people:

My penis is bigger than yours.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well its my cs, it crashes everytime i try to spawn , i tried reisntalling my video card drivers and it still happens so i just want to go back to win2k, i know it sounds stupid just to do all that for cs but i when i play sum cs it ****s me over like that and it gets annoying lol
my comps 3ghz p4 w/ 512 pc3200 ram
cable conneciton

This error occurs any time in the game, for example , while im playing... when i spawn .. when its precaching resources
Old 03-01-2004, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to chog

Did you try re-installing cs?
Old 03-01-2004, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yeah i tried that it still gives me the same error, but its steam now not CS
Old 03-01-2004, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

NitRoX you would either use the winXP or win2k CD to format with NTFS. save all data because the setup requires deleting a partition. just pop your winXP or win2k CD in and boot from it. delete only your operating system partition. if you have other partitions leave them alone else you will lose all data on them.

you can either re-create a new partition to replace the one you deleted or just select "install windows" and they will ask to create a new partition. it will ask for 4 format options. do not use any "quick format" options. i suggest using NTFS over FAT32. here's more info:

Closed Thread