How does Win2k stack up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev2323

In Runtime
I have Win2k on my comp. What would the advantadges to upgraded to WinXP? Price is not an issue. Also, what is average startup times for Win2k? Mine seems a little slow for my system (you can see it below). Let me know your times and you system stats. Thanks!!!

Lev, i've been a W2K fan ever since it came out. Before XP was released, i was somewhat sckeptical about it... but i can honestly say it's a real solid OS. The only beef i have is with the product activation but even with that MS has eased up on the rules a bit.

As for the the +/- , XP has more features for the home user in terms of multimedia applications, i.e. that movie maker is sufficiently nice... (but there are freeware apps that do the same thing) and another plus I would say is the ability to play video games in emulation mode.

I'm not a hard core gamer, but all the games I've isntalled under W2K have played quite well surprisingly. All except Star Wars Speed racer which is a sort of a cheesy game anyway and i don't play it that much anyway.

You will notice a pretty big performance increase in Windows XP over 2k. I've used both for long periods of time and I definitely think that XP is a big improvement. Windows 2k always takes a long time to boot up, no matter how fast your PC. That is another big improvement with XP. My boot time is about 40 seconds. Other than that, there isn't much difference in XP. You get the new themes, but that's about it. Wait another month until SP2 is out and give it a shot.

And right on! Flush the Johns!!!

beedubaya said:
5 seconds on my system to start up WinXP
I just ran bootvis after not doing it in months and my time is down to about 25 seconds. Most of that time is spent on the two bios screens.

Well I have read reviews on the internet, and many of them say that there is from 22-30% performance increase of win2k, from experience win2k runs slighty slower like the booting for example, but you should upgrade, because you will get faster load times and you can make it prettier lol

load time for me is about 15-20 on winXP, that is because I am using an old Duron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom