How does Win2k stack up? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to lev2323
Default How does Win2k stack up?

I have Win2k on my comp. What would the advantadges to upgraded to WinXP? Price is not an issue. Also, what is average startup times for Win2k? Mine seems a little slow for my system (you can see it below). Let me know your times and you system stats. Thanks!!!

My Computer:
C2D E6420 2.13, FSB 1066MHz
OCZ SLI-ready 1066MHz 5-5-5-15T
eVGA NF63 motherboard
eVGA 8800GTS 640MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Windows XP Pro 32 bit
OCZ GameXstream 700w PSU
Old 07-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Lev, i've been a W2K fan ever since it came out. Before XP was released, i was somewhat sckeptical about it... but i can honestly say it's a real solid OS. The only beef i have is with the product activation but even with that MS has eased up on the rules a bit.

As for the the +/- , XP has more features for the home user in terms of multimedia applications, i.e. that movie maker is sufficiently nice... (but there are freeware apps that do the same thing) and another plus I would say is the ability to play video games in emulation mode.

I'm not a hard core gamer, but all the games I've isntalled under W2K have played quite well surprisingly. All except Star Wars Speed racer which is a sort of a cheesy game anyway and i don't play it that much anyway.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You will notice a pretty big performance increase in Windows XP over 2k. I've used both for long periods of time and I definitely think that XP is a big improvement. Windows 2k always takes a long time to boot up, no matter how fast your PC. That is another big improvement with XP. My boot time is about 40 seconds. Other than that, there isn't much difference in XP. You get the new themes, but that's about it. Wait another month until SP2 is out and give it a shot.

And right on! Flush the Johns!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

5 seconds on my system to start up WinXP
Old 07-13-2004, 03:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally posted by beedubaya
5 seconds on my system to start up WinXP
I just ran bootvis after not doing it in months and my time is down to about 25 seconds. Most of that time is spent on the two bios screens.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via ICQ to str8lazy Send a message via AIM to str8lazy Send a message via Yahoo to str8lazy

Well I have read reviews on the internet, and many of them say that there is from 22-30% performance increase of win2k, from experience win2k runs slighty slower like the booting for example, but you should upgrade, because you will get faster load times and you can make it prettier lol

load time for me is about 15-20 on winXP, that is because I am using an old Duron

Closed Thread