how do you reset a wireless router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I was wiring a lady home about a month ago. I traded her a wired router for wireless one (it looked brand new in a box). I assume it to work.

I go to hook somebody wireless network up today. I need to learn how to do it pproperly, so I did my house 1st. it went without a hitch. I go this other person house to hook theirs (with the 1st wireless router) up and find out that it's password protected.

I'm stuck with a no good router unless I can clear it out. how do you reset a wireless router to it's default state?

There is usually a reset button on the back of the router that you push with a pen, but I'm not sure if that would reset the password. It'd be worth a try, though.

Be sure you hold it in for a long time with the paper clip and that you feel the button being pushed. Sometimes the paper clip will go inside the hole and miss the button. There is also a soft reset and a factory reset. Usually when you hold it down for about 10-15 sec it will do a "soft" reset. If you hold it down for about 30 sec it will do a factory reset which will get rid of that custom admin password and restore it to default. With Linksys it is usually User: BLANK Password:admin. I would hold it down and count to 60 just to be extra sure..that is just me though :)

my router has a reset button, but most of the time it doesnt work.

In that case, i just unplug it for about 5 mins, and it resets it.

Win2kpatcher said:
Be sure you hold it in for a long time with the paper clip and that you feel the button being pushed. Sometimes the paper clip will go inside the hole and miss the button. There is also a soft reset and a factory reset. Usually when you hold it down for about 10-15 sec it will do a "soft" reset. If you hold it down for about 30 sec it will do a factory reset which will get rid of that custom admin password and restore it to default. With Linksys it is usually User: BLANK Password:admin. I would hold it down and count to 60 just to be extra sure..that is just me though :)

I was doing the opposite

User:admin Password:BLANK like the d-link router.

I think that this router don't work. at my friends house, it pick up the wireless but said it needed the encryption key.

the wire part don't work at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom