how do you backup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
do you backup your computer using an external hard drive or do you use a software program...if so which one? I want to start backing up my computer since I realized what all i would lose if something happened to my computer. My computer does not have a backup option under start>all programs>accessories>system tools, so i need to figure out another way to backup my computer. I'm interested to see what the majority of you do.

I have 2 hard drives, and I just manually copy and paste everything from one to the other every week or so to backup.

All the important stuff is on rewritable CD's or DVD's.

I periodically burn a couple DVD's with all my songs, videos, installers, programs, pictures etc.

I use the windows backup tool. I'll assume your using XP Home so you can't do that just move all your folders and files to another harddrive or disc.

Have fun though I just completed backup up data to an external hardrive using usb1.0 twice....

I created a .bat to copy all my stuff to a backup directory. Then set up a task using my CD burning software, and put it on my desktop. All I do is run the .bat, then the backup task which burns my backup directory to a CD. Takes about 10, which is the CD burning mainly.

I don't have really any way of backing all my important stuff up. I usually just backup the setup files to my programs to cds and thats all I can do. I have about 5gb of music and 20gb of video that will be lost if my computer breaks.

I also have an external 300GB HD which I backup all my important stuff on (Documents, photos, music, movies, software installers). I would reccomend doing this and avoid using the drive as much as possible (this way you are sure the data integrity stays strong, since it is a backup). As a further step I always backup the backup onto DVD's every 6 months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom