How do you Abort an install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechzap

Solid State Member
Managed to repair all the problems I had before except this one :

After dropping in the XP Pro CD to check and see if I had partitioned the drive accidentally ( I did not) now whenever I reboot it asks me if I want to load XP Pro, XP Home ( which was the OS that was formerly on the HD that is supposed to be gone now that I did a clean install of XP Pro ) or to Finish the install of XP Pro that I began to check the hard drive for partitions.

Is there some files I can erase to fix this? Is the install info loaded somewhere that I can remove? How do I make the BIOS ( I assume that is what is fubar'd at the moment) recognize that there is only 1 OS installed? There are 3 sections in the HD area on the disc...1 that has XP Pro on it and 2 that are unformatted and empty..an 8 Meg one and a 38 Meg one.

How do I get rid of these unformatted and blank sections on my drive? How can I get the damn thing to boot correctly?

thanks again for the help,

Mechzap

Boot with a win98 boot disk and type "fdisk /mbr"
If this doesn't work you can manually delete the entries....let us know if this works though first.

-Mike

What you can do is to use fdisk from your start up disk 98, then make a new partition and format it. Then install your os., this will give you a new os with a clean start.

cheeriosDOn't post on thread's if u don't know what the solution is ..plz

Mechzap
Just edit the boot.ini file ...remove the line that represents the XP setup line .. This should fix ur boot up issue...

As for residual files .. setup would create temp files only if u started the installation phase ..else they would have been removed.

You can either edit the boot.ini file or just disable it so that it doesn't show two OS's.

To disable it on Windows XP Professional right click "My Computer" go to "Properties". Select the "Advanced" tab and within the "Startup and Recovery" section select "Settings" - within the "Default Operating System" section uncheck the "Time to display list of operating systems".

This will disable the computer listing the operating systems at boot. (You can also edit the boot.ini file this way).

Thanks to everyone who helped, editing the boot.ini file worked just fine =)

Mechzap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom