How do I wipe my HD's clean and reinstall XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric, I tried to set up my system by following your post, and somehow I managed tot totally mess things up. When I moved My Documents to the other part of the petition, my system no longer booted. Apparently there are some very important items in My Documents.

Sad Freddy

no there isn't. you must have did something wrong like adding that extra hdd and messing up the boot order. A million people followed these instructions without an issue

XP Setup has the ability to do this as well.

Installing Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Just do not use the quick method. Use the full format. It will take some time but it is worth it.

soarwitheagles, just follow what Makaveli posted. There is nothing wrong with your computer to warrant any other format (like a zero wipe). Just use the guide. And like he said, don't use the Quick Format option.

Yes there are some important files in the My Documents folder. But that would not cause the NTLDR missing. That file is located in the root fo the drive. No in the My Documents folder.

As i have said just use the XP CD. I linked to a guide on how to setup XP and there is instructions on installing and formatting there. It will guide you thru this easily.

Mak, ok, I am doing exactly as you said. I did format but I will keep it simple this time.

I suppose the biggest lesson I learned is do not activate the Windows XP Pro until everything is installed the way I like it. [MS gives me 30 days to use it before I must activate it]. This will save me from using up activations I suppose.

Thanks again and I will be much more careful this time!

Freddy

Mak, ok, I am doing exactly as you said. I did format but I will keep it simple this time.

I suppose the biggest lesson I learned is do not activate the Windows XP Pro until everything is installed the way I like it. [MS gives me 30 days to use it before I must activate it]. This will save me from using up activations I suppose.

Thanks again and I will be much more careful this time!

Freddy

MS activations is the least of your worries. In my opinion, don't base your production on how you need to please them. You have a legit copy of Windows and you need to use it...period. They can't dictate to you how many times you reinstall the same copy of XP on the same computer....it's yours, not theirs. Just needs a simple phone call to them in order to get it working. They can't push you around though. You bought it, you own it, you aren't using it illegally.

soarwitheagles, just follow what Makaveli posted. There is nothing wrong with your computer to warrant any other format (like a zero wipe). Just use the guide. And like he said, don't use the Quick Format option.

since you are going there, why not use a quick erase? his hdd is supposedly new with no bad sectors or corrupted parts

if you using your logic then, then you shouldn't advise him of doing a long xp format which is really just disc checking.

Because a quick format doesn't delete anything, it only removes the MFT. In my opinion, it should never be used unless you are cloning on a drive. A quick format doesn't format anything.

Because a quick format doesn't delete anything, it only removes the MFT. In my opinion, it should never be used unless you are cloning on a drive. A quick format doesn't format anything.

BTW, a regular format doesn't check the disk for bad sectors.

that might be true. I don't know. but it's to my understanding that a disc check will check for and fix bad sectors.

again the xp full format is nothing but a quick format with checkdisc, which makes the top quote simply not true.

which is one one the reasons I suggested powermax. it's quick format kill xp's and it can also write zero's to the drive.

even though it's not the case here. I've had about 20+ computers that I've fixed over the years that couldn't install xp right because of boot sector viruses. running a quick format with powermax will fix them right up, So I now use it by default to save me time on installs

you see, mike, you are not the only person on this forum that knows stuff. you got a habit of treating us like we are stupid and beneath you. you also like to question our answers that we give to people.

do we question your answers? no. so give us our respect and don't question ours unless we are giving bad information

Actually a full format with the XP CD will not only check the disc but it will write zero's like powermax. The only thing it wont do is check the boot sector. ;) That is where powermax has the advantage.

The only reason why i suggested a full format and not quick is i have seen more installs get corrupted trying to install via the quick format method.

Eric you were not wrong to suggest powermax. I fully agree that a quick swipe with that is much more effective than using Windows. The only reason why i suggested Windows CD in the first place. Simplicity. Some people dont know how to operate the LiveCD's.

You have brought up some very valid points and i will get myself a copy of powermax and i will see if i can write up a guide for that as well so that i can suggest that next time someone asks a formatting question. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom