how do I transfer Vista and revert to xp - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default how do I transfer Vista and revert to xp

Hi, I have one computer that came with Windows Xp and now has Vista installed, but I want to transfer the Vista license to my new computer. If I reformat the old computer to reinstall Xp,will that null the Vista license allowing me to install on my new computer? or doI have to officially transfer thelicense somehow?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: how do I transfer Vista and revert to xp

You can only use the vista license if you have the operating disk and serial for it.

You do not transfer it, the old harddrive will be formated and XP installed and the new computer will need to be formated with the Vista disk.

if you do not have the operating system Disk with serial your out of luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

I don't believe you can even legally transfer Vista to another computer, can you?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I don't believe you can even legally transfer Vista to another computer, can you?
yep
you might have to say that the other one broke
Old 04-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

That is right Carnage and Eric. There is no way to transfer the license. You would have to say that the machine broke down and is no longer in service.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Now im confused. I have the disk for Vista, I bought it, Installed it on the computer it's on now, but now I want it on a different computer, one that I made and has no os yet.
So can I just reformat the old computer, Intstal Vista onto my new computer, and will Vista just know automatically that It's no longer on the old computer and on this new one instead?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Well, you could, but you'd have to call M$ to get vista reactivated on the new machine (vista has only 1 activation per license for OEM, I believe). Like Mak said, you'd had to say the old machine broke down for t hem to activate it for you.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Again Carnage is right. With a OEM disc you only get i activation. When you buy Windows yo agree to their terms of service and their License agreement which says you will only install it on 1 machine.

Since you already installed it on the machine that has no OS right now and activated it you already used up your purchased License. That is not to say that you can not install it on another machine but that breaks the license agreement and considered illegal. Which we can not discuss in the forums.

But you could install it and tell M$ when you call them that the hard drive crashed. I am just saying you could do that. Not that i would.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What does it mean that it's an OEM disk? I bought it at WorstBuy. I didnt install it yet on the new one, because it's still on the crappy old computer, but that's the plan...Im not trying to do something illegal. I understand that it can only be installed on one machine, but surely that doesnt mean one machine ever. I can't believe that If i spend $500(ultimate edition) that I cant just remove it from one computer and put it on another, that's all I wanna do.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Technically according to the EULA that is exactly what it means. But since you got it at a retail store you got a retail edition so you have 3 activations. Since it is off the old machine and not active on there anymore there will be no issues installing it on the new machine.

Closed Thread