How do I scan for open ports

Kaish

Beta member
I am trying to connect from my laptop to my desktop PC using telnet however my desktop PC has port 23 shut and so I want to scan it for some open ports. How do I do that on my own, rather than downloading some port scanner?

I heard about some netstat thing but that's just for websites isn't, because I haven't already connected to my desktop yet and so I can't use that (unless I form a direct connection, which I haven't done and I don't want to otherwise I know how to do it). I was hoping for a way rather than not forming a direct connection.

Port 80 should be open. GRC.com can give you the information your looking for.

Port 80 should be open. GRC.com can give you the information your looking for.

I tried connecting through port 80 but what happens is that my command prompt screen just says "Connecting to (IP Address)" and doesn't do anything else.

Is this supposed to happen?

How long should it take to connect?

Am I missing a step here?

Just use ShieldsUp! on GRC. Port 80 is always open cause that is the HTTP Port also known as the Web Port. It will be difficult to connect through it without proper setup.

Yes I know it can be set to stealth. As it is shown that way for me on my port scan. But at the same time he can go right into his router settings and open any port he wants to do what he wants and have it be a port he wants. ;)

Back
Top Bottom