how do i rip dvd's? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I'm going to try it out.

Boy. what memories.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

I have tried many different programs to rip a dvd to an avi file. This one is by far the easiest, and the quickest.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/autogk.htm

You can rip the dvd to any size you want, or split the the file. The quality is very good. I recomend it over any others. I have been able to rip a 2hr dvd in just over three hours into two 700mb files.

The process that I described above is not copying a dvd to a dvdr.

When i say ripping it is taking the whole movie and compressing it to any size file. The reason it takes three hours is that it runs two passes to get the best quality video.

This process is great for taking a taking a dvd and compressing the size down to any size you would like with great quality. The quality after the rip is still very high.

I have used dvd decripter, and dvd shrink to copy a dvd to a dvdr, and the quality is not as good as the quality you get when using auto_gk. Its all in the process of running two passes when compressing the movie.

Look into the autogk method, its much better than any others.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 03-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

ill look into that
Old 03-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by AND_YOU_ARE
I have tried many different programs to rip a dvd to an avi file. This one is by far the easiest, and the quickest.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/autogk.htm

You can rip the dvd to any size you want, or split the the file. The quality is very good. I recomend it over any others. I have been able to rip a 2hr dvd in just over three hours into two 700mb files.

The process that I described above is not copying a dvd to a dvdr.

When i say ripping it is taking the whole movie and compressing it to any size file. The reason it takes three hours is that it runs two passes to get the best quality video.

This process is great for taking a taking a dvd and compressing the size down to any size you would like with great quality. The quality after the rip is still very high.

I have used dvd decripter, and dvd shrink to copy a dvd to a dvdr, and the quality is not as good as the quality you get when using auto_gk. Its all in the process of running two passes when compressing the movie.

Look into the autogk method, its much better than any others.
All of the older encoding methods was better. they took a lot longer, but they would encode on a frame by frame basis. the 2 passes that Autog is a lot better method than most people use now

It's about speed now.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to jnev_89

Quote:
Originally posted by zimon
http://www.softforall.com/Multimedia...ScreenShot.htm

Download that then clik the wizard then clik convert to AVI simple and easy

i tried this program and after 10 hours it's stuck at 99.9% and the third (they split it into 3) part of the dvd won't opne because of it.

thanks for all the other reponses, i kind of forgot about this topic for a day. i'll be sure to try them al.

thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

When i encode i usually leave it while i got to school. Im away for about 6 hours, and it only takes around 4 hours. On Flaskmpeg i set the DIVX codec to take the longest amount of time to give the highest quality output, and the files i get at the end are great.