How do I restore from a "PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM" problem with no CD reader or CDROMs?

jstryn2live

Solid State Member
CAM01069.jpg

Hi -- have a couple-years old ACER Aspire One NAV50, no internal or external CD reader and no CDROMs -- it shipped pre-loaded. Used Firefox the other day, shut down, powered up later and got

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootabe device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

Any guidance on what I can do to get my comuter up and running again? Will be much appreicated.

with thanks
Susan

Last edited:
The PXE message means its trying to boot off of the network card since that would be the next device if it can't boot off of the HDD.

Firstly, go into BIOS (also called Setup) and see if it detects your hard drive in your bootable devices list.

If it does detect there's a hard drive there, then it's either on it's way out or just the bootloader is gone. If it doesn't detect an HDD...then the HDD is dead.

According to the pic you posted, it has a DVD drive, which means it does have an internal disc reader. What version of Windows came installed with it?

Hello :)

Thank you for your time. It came with Windows 7

"Firstly, go into BIOS (also called Setup) and see if it detects your hard drive in your bootable devices list."

I can't, or don't know how to get in there. When I power it on F2 and F12 are the only given choices to do anything with.

F2 is probably what you want. I'm guessing it says "Setup" or something similar next to it, and F12 says something like "Boot menu"? If not, what does each say next to it?

If I use F2 it brings me to a black screen with a blue box requesting "Enter Current Password:" and I have no idea what password they are talking about. I've tried all possible passwords that I've ever used in the past and it responds with....

"PASSWORD CHECK FAIL!!! Press any key" when I do it brings me right back to wanting a current password.

And F12 gives me this...

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next"
3. Click "Repair you computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

The Password prompt means your BIOS has a password... did you buy this computer used? Did you have somebody work on it at some point?

I'm assuming F12 is recovery or something similar.
You can try booting to the Advanced Boot Menu by pressing F8 after the splash screen that says Acer and before Windows would attempt to load. You should get to a screen with text menus. Choose the "Repair your computer" option and let the automatic repair try to fix it. Let us know what it comes back with.

If it fails, it should have an option to view the logs - do so, and then scroll through the logs, and look at the Status section for each check. Find the section where the "Status" isn't a "0x0", and then post that section here.

Also, moved the thread out of the New Memeber intros board and into the Windows board for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom