How do I reformat a partition that has a corrupted version of Windows Vista Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

Ok, my mom's computer got really messed up due to a virus. I had partitioned the harddrive into 3 sections:

Windows Vista Ultimate partition
Windows 7 Beta partition
Program partition

I simply would like to reformat the the Windows Vista Ultimate partition and NOT reinstall windows vista [I will install Windows 7 Pro on Oct. 22nd].

When I go into Disc Management, it will not permit me to reformat the Windows Vista partition because it has an OS on it.

Can someone here help me reformat the corrupted Vista Ultimate partition please?

Thank you,

Soar

Re: How do I reformat a partition that has a corrupted version of Windows Vista Ultim

WHen you start the computer on the windows 7 partition, it should allow you in disk management to format the other partition.

If not use something like GParted to format the partition.

Re: How do I reformat a partition that has a corrupted version of Windows Vista Ultim

WHen you start the computer on the windows 7 partition, it should allow you in disk management to format the other partition.

If not use something like GParted to format the partition.

Lex,

Windows 7 will not permit me to reformat the Windows Vista partition.

Can anyone else can help me please?

Soar

To make note of this... If Vista partition has the bootloader on it, after you format you will have to repair the bootloader. Also, before you format the Vista partition, go into Disk management and mark your Windows 7 partition as active (I believe this is what you have to do anyway).

Did you try that?

I tried to mark the Windows 7 partition as active but I cannot figure out how to do that. I see no option in Disc Man. to do that. I also tried to format using Disc Manager and the format lettering is grayed out...so still no go...

Any other ideas?

Soar

Soar please read Lex and kmote's response again please. They suggested using a 3rd party tool called GParted. The reason you cant format Vista is because you are within Win7. GParted will not boot into Windows and therefor there is nothing stopping it from formatting.

Soar please read Lex and kmote's response again please. They suggested using a 3rd party tool called GParted. The reason you cant format Vista is because you are within Win7. GParted will not boot into Windows and therefor there is nothing stopping it from formatting.

Mak,

Thanks for the clarity. I suppose next time I will read the post a little better!

Have a good one everyone!

Up, up, and away!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom