How do I move my desktop to my storage drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceN1derland

Baseband Member
Hi everyone!

I recently installed a real nice 64 GB SSD in my system. I wanted to use this SSD primarily for my OS [Win7 Ult. 64].

I did most of the recommended tweaks, but it somehow keeps having more and more data showing up [I only have 13 GB's left]!

How can I set my system up to have my desktop on one of my storage drives?

Please let me know.

Thank you,

Alice

What do you mean by "have your desktop" on the storage drive?

Have you disabled shadow copies? Cleared off system restore points? Disabled hibernation? Moved the pagefile to a different drive?

yeah pagefile seems like the culprit.
As for your desktop, it is in your User profile so if you manage to move all that to a normal HDD you should be fine.

As for your desktop, it is in your User profile so if you manage to move all that to a normal HDD you should be fine.

If you mean the Desktop folder under the users directory... that won't necessarily have a lot of space. If all a person has on there is icons, it's only going to be a few hundred KB's and not amount to anything.

What do you mean by "have your desktop" on the storage drive?

Have you disabled shadow copies? Cleared off system restore points? Disabled hibernation? Moved the pagefile to a different drive?

Pagefile would be my first thought.

If you mean the Desktop folder under the users directory... that won't necessarily have a lot of space. If all a person has on there is icons, it's only going to be a few hundred KB's and not amount to anything.

Gosh, you guys are hecka helpful! Thank you!

Ok, I believe you. I guess I need your help on how to move the "page file." And I have no clue how to disable shadow copies...

I used a "SD Tweaker" program after installing the SSD and OS. I was hoping it would move the page file and everything else that required tweaking. Perhaps I overestimated it's thoroughness.

Ok, how do I move page file? Is it difficult to set up or can it be accomplished fairly easy?

And in regards to moving the desktop...I think I should have been more specific. I like to keep a number of well used folders on my desktop and these folders can grow in size like real quick...

How can I move all the desktop folders to one of my storage drives and yet still see this folders on my desktop?

I hope I am not creating more confusion than possibilities for solutions!

Alice

Gosh, you guys are hecka helpful! Thank you!

Ok, I believe you. I guess I need your help on how to move the "page file." And I have no clue how to disable shadow copies...

I used a "SD Tweaker" program after installing the SSD and OS. I was hoping it would move the page file and everything else that required tweaking. Perhaps I overestimated it's thoroughness.

Ok, how do I move page file? Is it difficult to set up or can it be accomplished fairly easy?
Start > Right click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings on the left side-panel > Under Performance, click Settings > Advanced tab > Under Virtual Memory click Change > Uncheck "automatically manage" > select your storage drive from the drive list > click Custom Size > I would set the min/max to "4096" > click OK on all open dialog boxes. You will most likely have to restart.

And in regards to moving the desktop...I think I should have been more specific. I like to keep a number of well used folders on my desktop and these folders can grow in size like real quick...

How can I move all the desktop folders to one of my storage drives and yet still see this folders on my desktop?

I hope I am not creating more confusion than possibilities for solutions!

Alice

You could move all the folders to the storage drive, and then create shortcuts on your desktop (right click the folder > send to > desktop (create shortcut).

Thanks again Carnage. I followed your instructions to move Page File. As I went through the process, I was surprised to see Page File was turned off. Anyway, I turned it on as I followed your advice.

Somewhere I read that if I have lots of RAM installed, it is ok to turn off page file. I am not sure if that is accurate. I never turned off page file, so that SSD tweaker program may have done that.

I will review the Tweak Guide you have posted.

Thanks again,

Alice

If you have plenty of RAM you might not ever use page files, but it is a safeguard in case you ever do use up all your RAM or computer-gods forbid you get a virus that eats up your RAM and crash your computer without a page file.

I would just store your entire user profile on your storage drive. Unless you are saving files outside your user folders (C:\Users\profile) or to the root of your OS drive for some reason, Everything you save to your desktop and any of your libraries will be off your OS drive (and on your storage drives).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom