How do I make a BOOTABLE system restore DVD of my current system with NO FLOPPIES!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Question How do I make a BOOTABLE system restore DVD of my current system with NO FLOPPIES!!!

I also posted this question on a "PAY" tech site. They often give really lousy answers. I'm interested to see what responses I get here. The third paragraph down refers to the "PAY" site so, please no-one take offense to this. I just wanted to have the same post on both boards. This question was ranked with the highest "reward" for answering it on their system and the highest difficulty.

Here is the situation. There is a fresh install of XP Pro, Updates, Drivers, Software applications, etc. The system has a DVD+-RW Dual Layer and supports booting to DVD. Let's say that over time, the system get full of unwanted programs and downloard crap. she system slows down and the option is to "RESTORE THE COMPUTER TO THE ORIGINAL STATE" I don't want people saying to use XP's system restore and go back to a certain point. I want a fresh install of what is was originally. Let's also assume that there is no Floppy drive. I want to put in a restore DVD that has all the info on it (if it doesn't fit on one DVD, then it cancontinue to a second, third, etc., but I think one should be enough.)

The installed OS will be XP Pro. If therer are any other details that are needed before to come up with the correct solution, please let me know. I know there have been similar questions asked before on this board but the answers seem less than adequate to say the least. Please include as much detail in your answer as possible. A lot of these posts seem to assume that the poster has a good bit of prior knowlegde to whatever the "answeree" is referring to. I do know a good bit about Ghost and image back-up and restoration but have had difficulty "bringing it all together" for this application. I know I have seen a lot of posts on different boards asking similar questions, but there has never been a really good answer. I'm hoping the expert's here have the knowledge! Let's see what my monthly dues are for. Anyway, thank you for trying to help me out, it is GREATLY appreciated! Good luck, if you can show me the way, I will be extremely impressed. Thanks again!

Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

AFAIK, ghost 2003 has a option in ghost utilities to create a boot disk. on the second screen, tell ghost to assign DOS drive letters. this will allow you to access your cd/dvd drive when booting to ghost. Have your image saved to a cd or dvd, boot to the ghost boot disk, run ghost, point it to your image file.

edit: reread no floppy, got a win98 cd? boot to that and run ghost. you'll need to test whether or not the generic CDROM drivers will read the DVD. if not, find yourself some dos drivers that will and create your own boot disk.

no win98? goto

Old 04-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Drive Image 7 is the way to go you just pop in the disk its a quick install and tell it you want to back up you system it took about 6 cds to do mine and I have never had a problem.
Closed Thread