How do I install windows xp on a pre-installed Windows 7 computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckman44

In Runtime
Im having tons of trouble doing this......I get an hal.dll error when I try to run setup via starting from the CD....then when I try to install from opening the CD on Windows 7 it says it wont work because I have a newer version...Please help..Im willing to do anythign tot his computer to get windows xp on it.

Also, I dont want to use virtualbox or anything because it lacks in performance compared to a fresh install.

No...I press esc during startup and choose my boot device....do I need to have my bios changed? And do u have any guesses on my I am getting the hal.dll error then?

Is your disc scratched or dirty? How far into setup does it get? Have you disabled AHCI in BIOS or slipstreamed SATA drivers onto the XP disc?

Also, just curious, but why do you want to get rid of Win 7 in favor of XP?

Is your disc scratched or dirty? How far into setup does it get? Have you disabled AHCI in BIOS or slipstreamed SATA drivers onto the XP disc?

Also, just curious, but why do you want to get rid of Win 7 in favor of XP?

I record the video off my Xbox 360 to put on Youtube, and the hardware has no drivers for Windows 7.....How would you go along performing these tasks u asked me if i have done?

Have no idea why exactly you're having a "hal.dll" error. Can you go into your BIOS and change the boot order to your CD/DVD drive; save settings after and allow restart.
Sorry but the hal.ddl error is far more than what you have said. In fact the hal.dll file is one of the first files contacted for XP to boot properly. From there it goes to either the NTDETECT or the NTLDR file. Then it goes to the other and then finally the boot.ini file for boot. All that is done in a matter of a second or so.

The error is simple. You need to first and foremost find out if there are any drivers available for that PC on the manufacturer's site. If not then there is not going to be any easy way to install XP as even if you do install it, there is no guarantee that it will even work.

Well to perform the tasks look at the disk. Is it dirty or scratched? Have you checked your BIOS at all to verify if you have it set to ACHI or IDE mode? We cant help if you dont tell us much.

Sorry but the hal.ddl error is far more than what you have said. In fact the hal.dll file is one of the first files contacted for XP to boot properly. From there it goes to either the NTDETECT or the NTLDR file. Then it goes to the other and then finally the boot.ini file for boot. All that is done in a matter of a second or so.

Didn't know all of that, but thanks for the info :). I'm still in progress :cute:.

The error is simple. You need to first and foremost find out if there are any drivers available for that PC on the manufacturer's site. If not then there is not going to be any easy way to install XP as even if you do install it, there is no guarantee that it will even work.

Well to perform the tasks look at the disk. Is it dirty or scratched? Have you checked your BIOS at all to verify if you have it set to ACHI or IDE mode? We cant help if you dont tell us much.

How do I check/set it to achi or ide mode
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom