How do I get rid of those Window update folders from old install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
My slave drive that I use for games and such has these folders with names like "456fgh7476s1d54fs" and the folder is locked and will not let me delete it. These were old updates I think that vista installed on my computer. Now I'm on w7 so I don't need them and they look ugly!

Any way to get rid of these? Or should I just mark them as hidden?

I just used a Linux LiveCD. Even when you use the Admin account they are locked and cant be deleted. That is the whole point of hte little Lock icon. Linux does it just fine though.

A LiveCD that you boot from and use right off the CD.

As mak said, just an .ISO file that you put on a CD and boot from it. Then you are able to manipulate certain things in the windows OS because you aren't booting into it, you are booting onto the CD.

Ok that makes since. I was lost on what mak was saying.

I'll just leave the folders there then. To much work

You know, this is all the info I've been hearing too. But I stumbled on my own fix. You don't even have to reboot or boot off a fancy rescue CD. No harm in you trying this, right?

I'll bet you already tried right-clicking and tampering with Security settings, and you still failed, right? I had given up for months. Then I tried something new...

From Properties, Security (tab), make sure the local "SYSTEM" account is added and local administrators (plural, not the local administrator). Make sure both are given "Full Control". Having yourself in this list isn't enough. The trick is to do the following additional steps...
Then click on the Advanced button, then Owner (tab). You should see the logged-on user in the list. Click on the logged-on user's name, check the "Replace owner on the subcontainers and objects" box, then "Apply" (button). This adds or replaces whatever was there before.
It should be done. Close all the windows and try deleting.

Hope this helps lots of people. i've hated those pesky folders for years, and it used to be easier to delete them with the first step above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom