How do I format Acer laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSAYO

Beta member
Hi, I use a Compaq PC. I need to format a friends laptop to its factory settings.

How do I do this on startup? For example, on Compaq as the computer is loading up you press F10 or F11 (I forgot which one of them it was ;)

The laptop is completely screwed and it wont load up to the desktop so I need to format it on the computer/OS startup

I do not have the XP discs and need to do it on startup. I know this is possible as I done it on an Acer laptop a long time ago, but forgot how to do it.

I would really appreciate help,
MOSAYO

If the Acer hard drive doesn't have a recovery partition - you can't do it. Most laptops bought from HP/Dell/etc come with a recover parititon. Within the boot menu (by pressing F10 or another key) you can boot to the recovery partition and it will put the laptop to pre-customer condition.

If the laptop doesn't have this partion (which it doesn't sound like it does), most laptops come with a CD with the OS and software that originally came with the laptop.

If neith of these are available, you'll have to go get an XP CD and reinstall everything manually.

Try pressing ALT+F10 or CTRL+F10 during bootup to see if it accesses the recovery partition (if there is indeed one on there). Acer likes to hide their recovery option for some reason...making it much harder for people to use.

yeah, I know almost all of them used to, but at least in the past year I knew that only Toshiba's did.

If the Acer hard drive doesn't have a recovery partition - you can't do it. Most laptops bought from HP/Dell/etc come with a recover parititon. Within the boot menu (by pressing F10 or another key) you can boot to the recovery partition and it will put the laptop to pre-customer condition.

If the laptop doesn't have this partion (which it doesn't sound like it does), most laptops come with a CD with the OS and software that originally came with the laptop.

If neith of these are available, you'll have to go get an XP CD and reinstall everything manually.

you hit it on the nose. some acer have it, some don't.

Actually, none of them do besides Toshiba, and possibly Dell

no manufacturers give you recovery disks except for toshiba.

these are crazy assumptions. most companies (gateway, sony, ibm, hp, acer, etc) give you way to restore the computer back to it's store bought position, just as most companies give you a restore cd. a lot of times when you buy a store bought computer, you have to ask for the cds because they won't volunteer them to you

these are crazy assumptions. most companies (gateway, sony, ibm, hp, acer, etc) give you way to restore the computer back to it's store bought position, just as most companies give you a restore cd. a lot of times when you buy a store bought computer, you have to ask for the cds because they won't volunteer them to you

Usually the manufacturer includes a program to create 1 set of restore discs thats on the computer already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom