How do I downgrade from Windows 7 x64 to Vista x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
I've been having far too many problems on 7. I have almost a terabyte of data on here, and I would rather not lose it. Is there any way to go from 7 to Vista? I've been looking all over the Internet and have not found a working solution. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

I've been hearing that Microsoft will allow users to downgrade to either Vista or XP when the OS finally releases - is this true? I'm running retail version of 7 x64.

What seems to be the problem with 7 on your computer? maybe we can help you get it squared up. Moving back to Vista just seems so... wrong.

I haven't heard about downgrades, but i seriously doubt downgrading from 7 to xp will be an option. I could see them allowing 7 to vista.

I agree with trotter, what seems to be the problem? What makes you believe that you won't run into any of the same problems on Vista?

I did an in place upgrade of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate over Vista x64 Ultimate SP2. I get random BSOD's (about two to three daily) accompanied by random freezes in certain games that did not occur on Vista (namely Left 4 Dead). My motherboard is an ASUS P5Q SE Plus, and from what I've seen, does not have drivers for Windows 7 (The website says they do, but when I download them and try to run then, they say they are "not compatible with this version of Windows".

As of now, the only thing I can pick out is the video drivers. I've tried like six versions of the video drivers. I'm running on.... 182.42 right now, having to lower my clocks on my video card (happened in Vista too, so that's not a 7 problem). They seem pretty stable.

But, as I have said before, I think it's the combination of the motherboard and the video card, and the fact that I did an in place upgrade.

There is no way to downgrade. That option, if available, will only be offered by PC manufacturer's when buying a pre-built machine with Windows already installed. There is no way once you have upgraded from Vista to Win7 to just revert back.

The only option, and i do mean only, is if you still have the windows.old file on your PC. There are some really long, draw out tutorials out there to be able to get that back. But i wouldnt get my hopes up. It is unknown if it works going from Win7 back to Vista. It did with Vista going back to XP.

So you will have to backup and reinstall Vista. While the drivers may not be available now, that doesnt mean it will always be that way. Remember the OS doesnt even get officially released for another 11 days. It wont be long that you start to see drivers for Win7 appearing on manufacturer's sites.

Where would this "windows.old" be at? Because I don't have one. And yeah, you're right. I'm just a little frustrated. Take a look at the ASUS site for my mobo:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

If you go to the downloads section and select "Windows 7 64 bit" and download stuff under that section, they don't work in 7.

EDIT: Wow, sorry about that link. I don't know where that came from :tongue:

Maybe they do work, but for the Win7 RC Build 7100. The dates on them are from 2008 which means that they have not gotten the ones for Win7 Build 7600 the RTM Build out yet.

You have to remember that 3 builds were released to the public. Build 7000, Build 7100 RC and in 10 days the final gets released Build 7600. So some places may have drivers for older builds up while you could be useing a newer build. Give it time.

The windows.old file cant be missed. It is huge since it contains all your old files. It would be right in the heart of the C:\ drive.

I see, I see. Well, I just purchased a second drive for backups (1TB Seagate Barracuda). I'm going to wait a few more months before I upgrade back to 7. I liked it, I really liked the task bar. I just didn't like the blue screens :tongue:

And about the Windows.old.. I don't have it. All of my installation files are still in their normal C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files(x86) directories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom