How do i do this kind of file compression and what is it called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
Ok, lately I've been downloading huge files.. How there compressed is quite interesting and I really want to learn how to do it.

Let me explain how it is.

I think its a .rar file but ok anywys thats what program i use to decompress files.

Lets pretend a file is called linux.rar
When i double click it, the winrar window pops up of course and instead of it having the actualy linux files, You would see files like this.

linux.001 (size is 20,000,000b)
linux.002 (size is 20,000,000b)
linux.003 (size is 20,000,000b)
linux.004 (size is 20,000,000b)
linux.005 (size is 20,000,000b)
linux.006 (size is 20,000,000b)

and ect...
Anyways what i do is I first extract all these files to a folder. After i extract them to a folder, I run the first file (linux.001).

Now what happens is a winrar window pops up and it has linux.iso" and it is not 20,000,000 bytes, its the real size of the iso.

I was wondeiring what kind of compression is this? and how would i go about doing it?

-Spfdz!

that sounds like an Aweoms compression.

But it could also be that the acual iso is split up amonsgt these .001 files, and are being put back together through a bin or cue file or something like that?

or i culd just be blowing it straight out my rse.

But ya, i cant put what i am thinking into words Wes, if you want a beter explanation, msg me.

Ches
:D Have a Great Night

you are looking at a winrar spanned volume. they take an ISO image and span it across volumes with .001 ..... extentsions. together they get combined into the original file. this can be done with anything not just ISO's. winace has the same features but 10x better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom